GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daily Driven STU Setup

bfury5

Autocross Champion
really curious to try a Golf R in full STU trim, looks like a lot of fun. Car does look a little bouncy? But can't tell if that's camera or just poor surfaces.

I drove an EVO 8 STU car last weekend with a similar alignment to yours, and that was a ton of fun. Needed another .5deg of front camber to get more turn-in/bite, but was surprised with how agile it felt for AWD

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
really curious to try a Golf R in full STU trim, looks like a lot of fun. Car does look a little bouncy? But can't tell if that's camera or just poor surfaces.

I drove an EVO 8 STU car last weekend with a similar alignment to yours, and that was a ton of fun. Needed another .5deg of front camber to get more turn-in/bite, but was surprised with how agile it felt for AWD
Yeah that second video, the first big right hand turn about 14 seconds in I was getting quite a bit of bounce. Several of the other drivers said they were experiencing that as well, so there must have been some waviness in the surface. Otherwise I don't get it too bad overall.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

I'm not full STU trim but if time/schedules allow you can take mine for a spin if you're going Sunday

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So annoyed with last weekends autocross. There was a wind advisory and cones were being blown over left and right. I'm lined up for my last run and a novice in a hellcat demon decided to turn off the TC for his last run. It didn't end well. He went off into the trees, bounced, smashed up passenger, front, drivers side of car, ripped trans cooler out off. Long delay, I go out, notic8the a cone down way off line, don't stop because there's no way they could think I hit a cone that I was 6 feet away from, and sure enough, pull out a top 8 pax run, and they counted the cone against me. Crazy. The cone was 6 feet off the line, wind blowing like crazy.

The good news, after 2 years of struggling with setup and driving, I'm getting my rhythm back, the bad news, it's ridiculous that the cone was counted. What makes me madder, is that we were using green cones to indicate the course in one direction and orange in the other, and it was only the green cones getting blown over. I suggested that we put the green cones on top of orange cones to keep them from getting blown over, but no go. I guess that could cause more damage if you hit one, but if the wind is blowing that bad...

And we split novice up between all three run groups, so tons of new people on their phones, can't be bothered to watch the course. I early worked and was spectating the 2nd run group. Had to keep yelling across the track, or just fixing cones myself, because course workers weren't paying attention. Crazy event.

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Another generally good two day event with the San Francisco region out at Thunderhill. My super cheap $40 android tablet is not really up to the task of working with my GoPro and the Solostorm, which is just an annoyance.

I'm still struggling to really figure out my tire pressure. I settled on 37f and 41r, the car didn't feel as twitchy, and the front was just at the point of more roll over than was good. I know I wont make it the full summer on these tires, so I best start looking for replacements around July.

I'm also not sure if I want to mess with the FSB. Right now its on the middle setting, guess the best thing to do is go stiffer, or softer, and see how it does.

I also was having some timing pulled on the first day, and the datalogs were showing about 5 degrees or so. New plugs and coils, wasn't really sure what was going on. My thoughts were I've gone from 4,700' elevation down to 35' elevation, with warmer temps. I put in gallons of 94 octane fuel from the track, and the second day which was warmer I didn't experience any significant timing pull. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not, but I might need to look into this further.

Oh and course workers...This weekend they were bad. I had to call multiple stations out for just chit-chatting and missing some pretty big calls.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'm still struggling to really figure out my tire pressure. I settled on 37f and 41r, the car didn't feel as twitchy, and the front was just at the point of more roll over than was good. I know I wont make it the full summer on these tires, so I best start looking for replacements around July.
What PSI were you on before?
I also was having some timing pulled on the first day, and the datalogs were showing about 5 degrees or so. New plugs and coils, wasn't really sure what was going on. My thoughts were I've gone from 4,700' elevation down to 35' elevation, with warmer temps. I put in gallons of 94 octane fuel from the track, and the second day which was warmer I didn't experience any significant timing pull. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not, but I might need to look into this further.
You're tuned for 91 right? I've seen some places do a completely separate AZ/CA/NV 91 tune since it's just that much worse there. If you're looking at average KR, it's almost always gas, especially if you're seeing better results on 94.

Reactions: krs

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
What PSI were you on before?

You're tuned for 91 right? I've seen some places do a completely separate AZ/CA/NV 91 tune since it's just that much worse there. If you're looking at average KR, it's almost always gas, especially if you're seeing better results on 94.

For the PSI on my last event, I went as high as 38f and 45r. I'm guessing that was inducing some snap oversteer, although the car never really felt as touchy as it did this weekend at that rear psi.

Yeah, I'm tuned for 91, and I missed adding that I added 3 gallons of 94, while I was sitting at just under a half tank on 91.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Oh, and no smoke, and no oil in the catch can.

I'm going to give it a few more events, then pull out that catch can as it's looking like it's not needed.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Oh, and no smoke, and no oil in the catch can.

I'm going to give it a few more events, then pull out that catch can as it's looking like it's not needed.
It's not needed, until it's needed.

I've been good for a year on BL. We did some really high speed courses and I had freshly broken in 200TW.

Smoked and threw EPC.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Figured I'd add some info about the Pro Solo I attended last weekend at Crows Landing, CA.

Definitely a twist to the standard autocross event. For those that don't know, the pro solo is setup like this:
  • There are two courses, identical to each other, but mirrored. They're not terribly long, but are technical.
  • The starts are a drag race start, with two cars. There's a regular light tree, with a .500 second light, with a .500 reaction time being perfect. The clock starts with the lights, not with you. Anything faster than a .5 RT, is a red light and the run is a DQ.
  • You do a total of 12 runs over two days (6 per side) Four before lunch, four after lunch, then four before lunch. The total time is your fastest runs, from each side.
  • You start off on one side, when you finish your run you immediately go to the other side and do your next run. You have maybe 2-3 minutes tops before runs, and you need to have a helper bleading your tire pressure.
That's about the basics, more can be found by searching. Oh and classes are grouped differently. My class had some modified and street class cars in it, as well as STU.

There are some very good drivers that attend the national events, as well as follow the national circuits. I essentially was worked over. But I realized that my car will never be a contender at that level in a Pro Solo, as I still daily drive my car, and it's not a trailered STU vehicle.

Overall it was fun, but was not something I was used to at all.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Another good day.

Took first in STU, 3rd in raw, 3rd in PAX.

No smoke, no oil in the cc. The course is smoke worthy, as there’s a GTI in stock trim, smoked out a few times.

What pcv and cc?

Reactions: krs