GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cylinder 4 misfire

tluley51

Passed Driver's Ed
The car has about 86k on it and it began misfiring about a month ago. I researched it and thought most people on here say there's really no cause for concern until it throws CEL/EPC light...Well a few weeks later, the EPC light came on which led to the CEL tripping. Restarted the car, EPC went away and CEL stayed on for about a week then went away. About 2 weeks later, exact same thing happened. The EPC light would trip either on cold start or rarely, maybe 2 times, under load going like 50MPH. To add, I have been running the Neuspeed Power Module for about 6 months...Everything on the car is stock.

I took the Power Module out and I took it to my local shop and he figured it was the PCV valve causing issues. Its cheap enough too so why not. Replaced that and immediately got a CEL when pulling out from the garage, misfire on cylinder 4. Now I dont remember the exact code, I don't own a OBD2 reader myself. Once the mechanic cleared it, the CEL stayed off for 4 days and it was running...okay? But it tripped again yesterday.

My next step after reading these beautiful forums, lets try coilpacks and plugs. I bought the RS ignition service kit from ECS (8v RS3 ignition coils and RS7 spark plugs). I did the install even though I am a total noob, super easy install. Started the car and it immediately started to idle better, but the engine wasnt 100% cold so I was skeptical. I drove it around like 2 or 3 miles, ran great.

I went back out to get some food about 3 hours later and a buddy of mine stayed in the car while I went to get food, CEL light is on all this time btw. As I come back to the car from getting my food, the car sounds funny...I get in it and see the EPC light on and the car is misfiring like a son of a bitch just like it did before I replaced the PCV valve and the coilpacks and plugs.

A coworker is bringing his OBD2 reader today, but I fear that it is still the misfire on cylinder 4 and will update this thread when he gets in. Does it take multiple cycles after replacing coils and plugs to have it run...better? Like I said, it seemed to have run better immediately after replacing, but it could have been a slightly warm engine or placebo.

I fear this is something much larger...

EDIT: CEL was already on before replacing coils and plugs, but I just ran the reader. P0304. Cleared it and we will see if it comes back, I am sure it will with the rough night last night...

Last edited:

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Do a compression test, then at least you’ll have peace of mind knowing if your engine is good or not.

Last edited:

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
TLDR carbon cleaning valves and injectors

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tluley51

Passed Driver's Ed
When you pulled the plug from cylinder 4, was there any oil on the plug and if so, did you look down the tube to see if you are leaking oil?

I did check, yes. There was no oil on the plug or in the tube. There seemed to be some sort of either oil or the dielectric silicone in cylinder 1? But there was a minuscule amount.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Was thinking injectors myself. Carbon cleaning and injectors sounds $$$. Not really something I can do myself.
carbon cleaning, probably not.

injector, not sure. I saw some injector puller tool, but not sure if it's necessary. Someone here will know much much more if it's a DIY.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Carbon cleaning the valves just takes time and tools. Injector seal kits. I did a write up with Walnut blasting a while ago. You can go with toothbrush and chemicals. Still would be best to blow out the cylinders afterwards.
$400-800 to have someone else like BMW dealer do it

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Carbon cleaning the valves just takes time and tools. Injector seal kits. I did a write up with Walnut blasting a while ago. You can go with toothbrush and chemicals. Still would be best to blow out the cylinders afterwards.
$400-800 to have someone else like BMW dealer do it

Curious why you would tell him to go to a BMW dealer for that?