GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cutting the front bump stops while they're on the car...

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
Well if you cut the top off, then the bump stop might not fig "snuggly" in the strut mount anymore....just sayin'
I agree with this for the rear bump stop but I don't believe the front bump stop needs to fit "snuggly" as mine was held on by being tight against the strut shaft but I may be mistaken. I cut mine form the bottom and I can tell you from experience that getting through the black rubber piece is much harder than I was expecting.

spessx

Ready to race!
Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. Trimming the stops + the fender screw mod really helped. The car is a little a little floaty.

Would adding Bilstein B8’s further improve it?

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Glad I found this thread. I'm a dumbass and trimmed the factory front bump stops when installing my B8s/Eibach Pros the other day. It sounds like there are internal bump stops on the B8s already? Hopefully I can cut the factory ones all the way off without taking everything apart again. πŸ₯΄

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Glad I found this thread. I'm a dumbass and trimmed the factory front bump stops when installing my B8s/Eibach Pros the other day. It sounds like there are internal bump stops on the B8s already? Hopefully I can cut the factory ones all the way off without taking everything apart again. πŸ₯΄

Just an update - So I can't grab onto enough of the factory bump stop to pull it down and cut it. I tried with some needle nose pliers but it just isn't happening with the spring in the way and angle. I'm assuming with the bump stops this short, there's no way the B8s can even compress enough to hit them, right? At least not before my tire hits the fender. Is this a safe assumption?

spessx

Ready to race!
Just an update - So I can't grab onto enough of the factory bump stop to pull it down and cut it. I tried with some needle nose pliers but it just isn't happening with the spring in the way and angle. I'm assuming with the bump stops this short, there's no way the B8s can even compress enough to hit them, right? At least not before my tire hits the fender. Is this a safe assumption?
How did you get the front bump stops onto the B8 shaft? The B8 shaft is a lot bigger than the stock shocks.

The B8 front strut has an internal stop and you won't need the factory one.

It's not easy, but I got a heavy duty box cutter that allows me to extend the blade. That allowed me to twist the bumpstop and kinda saw through it. You should be able to cut the whole thing off.

How does your car ride with Eibach Pros and B8's? How is it on rough pavement?

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
How did you get the front bump stops onto the B8 shaft? The B8 shaft is a lot bigger than the stock shocks.

The B8 front strut has an internal stop and you won't need the factory one.

It's not easy, but I got a heavy duty box cutter that allows me to extend the blade. That allowed me to twist the bumpstop and kinda saw through it. You should be able to cut the whole thing off.

How does your car ride with Eibach Pros and B8's? How is it on rough pavement?

Yeah, I cut them down and they appeared to fit fine but they are all tucked in the mounts so there's not much I can grab onto now that everything is installed. Doesn't seem to negatively impact handling.

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Yeah, I cut them down and they appeared to fit fine but they are all tucked in the mounts so there's not much I can grab onto now that everything is installed. Doesn't seem to negatively impact handling.
Post a picture. I don't understand how you managed to install factory bump stops on an inverted strut. This is some round block in a square hole type thing.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Post a picture. I don't understand how you managed to install factory bump stops on an inverted strut. This is some round block in a square hole type thing.

I don't have a pic... but I basically cut them down and the internal hole was large enough to fit. Looked fine when I put everything together. Guess I gotta tear em out again and remove them. :confused: