GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom tune

noluck289

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Mk7 gti
I’m going to be buying a custom tune for my 2017 gti se dsg. I’m unsure what company to go with. Currently on eqt stage 2 and it’s good but i’m considering stratified for my custom tune. What would everyone recommend.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Unless going ethanol or a different turbo I doubt you’ll see much difference except your wallet will be lighter.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Boiler plate mod list = OTS tune. Stock turbo car with pump gas fuel your current ots tune has you safe/performance optimized at probably like 90% already, up to you if you want to spend the money and time to get that extra 10% that from the driver seat you probably won’t feel.

You want a bigger performance bump it’s time for ethanol or a bigger turbo.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I didn't switch for power reasons but my Stratified protune puts down power much better than the OTS EQT stage 2 tune I had.

EQT just spools up the turbo and loses traction as soon as you get on the gas, Stratified is more linear and actually takes off in 1st and 2nd

noluck289

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Mk7 gti
I didn't switch for power reasons but my Stratified protune puts down power much better than the OTS EQT stage 2 tune I had.

EQT just spools up the turbo and loses traction as soon as you get on the gas, Stratified is more linear and actually takes off in 1st and 2nd
So does the protune have more power as well?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I had a Stratified custom tune on my KO4'd MK6 GTI and it was night and day over the canned GIAC tune I had. I think custom tunes can take better advantage of mods and the quality of fuel in your area.

Now that Cobb offers support for the MQB 1.8 engine I plan on going the same route with my IS38 Alltrack.

Last edited:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Boiler plate mod list = OTS tune. Stock turbo car with pump gas fuel your current ots tune has you safe/performance optimized at probably like 90% already, up to you if you want to spend the money and time to get that extra 10% that from the driver seat you probably won’t feel.

You want a bigger performance bump it’s time for ethanol or a bigger turbo.
This.

There's no reason to do a tuning session if you haven't replaced anything major & are still on pump gas. If you're going to swapping turbos or fueling then its time for a tune, otherwise you'd be better off taking that money you would waste on a tune and spend it on something useful.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

If the DTR thread has taught me anything, it's that if you don't break traction in 1st and 2nd, you're clearly not actually making power, and the tune sucks.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
A custom tune with a good tuner is worth it if you're trying to solve an issue. If you're issue is too much wheel spin in 1st and 2nd, you don't need a better tune, you need better tires.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
If the DTR thread has taught me anything, it's that if you don't break traction in 1st and 2nd, you're clearly not actually making power, and the tune sucks.
Who said I'm not breaking traction? It just doesn't enter spin city for 2-3seconds at 4k like EQT did.

In fact I usually don't even both turning off ESC anymore, which was necessary to put down power with the EQT tune. Now I just floor it in 2nd, get a quick DSG fart sound when it breaks traction, and then takes off

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So does the protune have more power as well?
Eh, probably? Certainly better engine timing and the turbo/wg doesn't seem to be working as hard (EQT would spike over 28psi all the time, Strat never does that). Still have a revision or two left to go.

But if you want more power from a Stage 2 setup, you'll really want to go e30

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
Going from an OTS to custom tune on the same setup only makes sense if 1. you are absolutely sure this is the end of the line for your power mods (famous last words), and 2. you are OCD about how your car runs and want it dialed in perfectly for your specific fuel and driving conditions. Either that or if for some random reason an OTS solution isn't working out for you, as every car is different.