GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom Spoiler Extension (Gathering Interest)

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
SCROLL TO BOTTOM FOR FINAL UPDATE ON GROUP BUY.

I unintentionally hijacked a different thread with this after gaining some interest from a few forum members so I figured I'd post it up here.
I have been wanting to make a wing extension for a little while now and finally got some prototypes made up.

Here are some pics of what I've got so far. These are bare finish aluminum, planning to powder coat gloss black.

I have holes in the outside corners for bolting up to the stock wing. However, none of the stock wing will need to be removed in order to bolt it up. I plan on using rubber rivet nuts that install from the outside and squeeze on the inside when a bolt is threaded into it. This will both cushion the stock wing from the extension, and provide solid mounting.

Let me know what you think!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 12/14/2020:
Alright everyone, we currently have 7 on the list! I am going to cap it at 10 people to make things easy. I did get the powder coat quote back today. It was slightly more than what I had estimated, but if everyone who signed up is good for it we're not far off from what I told everyone.

UPDATE 12/17/2020:
We're at 9 total with 7 paid up and ready to go! The remaining unpaid members have informed me that they expect to square up tomorrow (12/18/2020). Once that happens, I will get started on production of the wings. I will also update the list to show who has prepaid for shipping as well.
With Christmas being next week and New Years the week after, Powder Coat may not be as quick as normal. But I still expect it will only take about a week or a little more. Thanks everyone!

IMPORTANT!
Your spot will not be valid until I have received both of the following:
-Your payment via Paypal (please include a note with your forum name) I will be reaching out to each of you in a PM to give my Paypal info
-A PM with your preferred style (V1 or V2) and your name with address you would like it shipped to

If we fill the last 3 spots before I get the parts to powder coat everything gets cheaper for everyone! (I will refund the difference to everyone if the remaining spots are filled).

THE LIST:
1. @dunkelweizen PAID! 👍 Style - V1

2. @EpicTech PAID! 👍 Style - V2

3. @Lovic87 PAID! (y) Style - V1
SHIPPING PREPAID! 👍

4. @bdollazzz PAID! (y) Style - V2
SHIPPING PREPAID! (y)

5. @GTIfan99 PAID! (y) Style - V1
SHIPPING PREPAID! (y)

6. @The Dude PAID! 👍 Style - V1
SHIPPING PREPAID! (y)

7. @uberdot PAID! (y) Style - V2
SHIPPING PREPAID! (y)

8. @toothofwar PAID! (y) Style - V2
SHIPPING PREPAID! (y)

9. @Terriquez88 PAID! 👍 Style - V1
LOCAL PICKUP (y)

10. @reverend_sean PAID (y) Style - V1
SHIPPING PREPAID! 👍

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both styles, nicknamed V1 and V2
V1 and V2.jpeg

V1 mounted pics
V1-image0.jpeg

V1-image2.jpeg

V1-image4.jpeg

V1-image6.jpeg

V2 mounted pics
V2-image0.jpeg

V2-image1.jpeg

V2-image3.jpeg

V2-image7.jpeg

FINAL UPDATE ON GROUP BUY 1/31/21:
We’re done! Thanks to everyone who participated in helping with getting this going. I’m glad to hear so much positive feedback!

For those who have asked for a second run, I do have more currently in production. I plan to set up an online store to make ordering and shipping more streamlined. Keeping track of forum PM’s and coordinating PayPal or Venmo transactions was more time intensive than I thought.

In an effort to be transparent with everyone, I wanted to reiterate that this post was meant for a single run group buy to keep costs down. The cost for the original group buy is cheaper than what I can do going forward. I did all the labor for free, I wasn’t looking to profit. Once I have a site up with parts available, the pricing will be different. That being said, my goal is to keep these as affordable as possible without sacrificing quality.

I will update again once the site is live. Thanks everyone!

Click here to go to website
LINK TO SITE

Last edited:

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I do all of the work myself other than the eventual powder coating. Mainly I'm looking to see if I can get a few others interested to be able to do a small run to help spread out the powder coat cost. Also it would be great to get some miles on some of these in order to prove them out.
For the first few I would only be looking to have my costs and shipping covered.

Let me know if you're interested or if you have any suggestions!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
With it being alu, make certain you have either a big enough gap, or rubber/foam strip/sealant the edge which is against the glass..otherwise with the different thermal expansion of the alu-vs- glass & rough bumps you could cause it (alu) to cut into/crack the rear screen...

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
With it being alu, make certain you have either a big enough gap, or rubber/foam strip/sealant the edge which is against the glass..otherwise with the different thermal expansion of the alu-vs- glass & rough bumps you could cause it (alu) to cut into/crack the rear screen...

I was planning to go with a strip of rubber trim on each end just in case 👍🏻

Attachments

• 56F5DFD6-33D3-43AC-9EE7-88A609326A08.jpeg
    56F5DFD6-33D3-43AC-9EE7-88A609326A08.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 141

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Kinda reminds me of aerofabbs spoiler extension

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Kinda reminds me of aerofabbs spoiler extension

It is very similar, especially the V1 style.
In my opinion it would be difficult to do something very different without it looking over designed. Aerofabb makes a very good product, but I wanted something a bit different with more simple installation. 😊

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Man I wish this would work on the wagon. Looks great!

Seconded.. Please consider an option for the Alltrack/Sportwagen crowd.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
It is very similar, especially the V1 style.
In my opinion it would be difficult to do something very different without it looking over designed. Aerofabb makes a very good product, but I wanted something a bit different with more simple installation. 😊
I will say if I didnt have a different spoiler already. The selling point for me is the fact you can install this without removing the oem spoiler vs aerofabb where you have to remove the oem spoiler for install.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Do you think I could figure out a way to mount it to be removed and reinstalled quickly at will? I want this for track, but can't use it for autocross.