GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom Spoiler Extension (Gathering Interest)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm going to look at the install hardware and see what it looks like. I need to be able to quickly install and uninstall to meet requirements for different rules for autocross and time trials.

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
That's how I plan to install it. My garage was too cold for me to have much confidence in the tape adhering correctly so planning to clean it up and stick it, throw some small clamps to keep it tight for a few hours (23° outside means my garage is still cold as witch nipple hairs) and hopefully snap some pictures after physical therapy tomorrow morning
You may also have some luck pre-heating the OEM wing with a hair dryer or heat gun (y)

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I'm going to look at the install hardware and see what it looks like. I need to be able to quickly install and uninstall to meet requirements for different rules for autocross and time trials.
If you remove the extension you can "plug" the holes by leaving the rivet nuts in and re-installing the hardware. That way there's no open holes.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
You may also have some luck pre-heating the OEM wing with a hair dryer or heat gun (y)
Used a heat gun to warm my spoiler while the extension was inside, wiped it down with isopropyl after a damp cloth and lined it up with the 3rd brake light.

Pup tax

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_103719.jpg
    IMG_20210125_103719.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So, I work in aviation, and a trick some of my airframe buddies passed on to me for drilling plastics... run that bitch packwards. Friction drilling. No chipping, gouging, or cracking. Backwards, lots of speed, moderate pressure. @GTI Jake back me up here man.

I’ve always used high rpm, low pressure.

I can see where running backwards and melting through can work as well.

I was really spoiled yesterday on a aileron installation when the new hinge mount bracket needed holes transferred from the original (worn spherical bearing) to the new part our machine shop did it.

Makes me REALLY want to buy a manual mill for my shop at home (I’ve got space in the corner and room in the breaker panel set aside). I know we’re way off topic from mounting a spoiler now, but when drilling anything hand drill < drill press < mill

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I’ve always used high rpm, low pressure.

I can see where running backwards and melting through can work as well.

I was really spoiled yesterday on a aileron installation when the new hinge mount bracket needed holes transferred from the original (worn spherical bearing) to the new part our machine shop did it.

Makes me REALLY want to buy a manual mill for my shop at home (I’ve got space in the corner and room in the breaker panel set aside). I know we’re way off topic from mounting a spoiler now, but when drilling anything hand drill < drill press < mill
specifically for plastic.

I too would like a mill, and a lathe, and a dozen other toys for the garage, but alas, more space and money are required than what I currently possess.

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
Being from East Coast, just got mine in this morning but am currently unable to install it as it is raining and only 35 degrees out and currently in the process of doing a 3 step paint correction. Planning on going with the tape install method as well. May have to heat up both surfaces.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
specifically for plastic.

I too would like a mill, and a lathe, and a dozen other toys for the garage, but alas, more space and money are required than what I currently possess.

Correct I should’ve clarified that for plastic (for anyone chiming into our thread jack lol)
LOW drill speed and lots of pressure for stainless and hardened steel.

I’m in the same boat with funds and space, but have future plans to eventually make moves on more shop equipment. Unfortunately I had a lathe and sold it before the shop was built to make room for the horizontal band saw. Now I could make room if I still had it, but work flow is still the biggest concern so I’m careful not to over crowd the new work space or I’ll be right back to where I started lol

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
So jealous of all you guys with your spoilers already. Mine only just shipped out (my fault) and it will likely be in the 20s F temp when it arrives, so probably won't get to install for a bit... :/

GSW Marc

Car(s)
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I'm also interested in a V1 for my GSW. I'm certain that if you decided to move forward with them, you'd have no problem getting them all sold out quickly & easily. I believe I've counted at least 6 wagon rollers that say they're interested in your products, so I hope that's enough to at least start things up for you.