GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom remap or Revo/APR for 1.4l 150bhp?

barbarian94

Car(s)
Golf GT Edition Mk7
What is everyones thoughts on a custom remap compared to a Revo/APR remap? Has anyone done it for the 1.4l TSI 150 BHP?

Cheers!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'd stick Revo..their maps are minimums...

My 140PS running on Shell Vpower & with a washable iTG trifoam panel filter & GTE slam panel CAI mod. makes 167bhp & 267Nm.....& many 140PS make 150PS from the factory easy..

With a 98RON remap it'll make circa 178bhp to 185bhp......The problem with the 1.4lt is the turbo gets hot with the built in intercooler & the air box sitting on the top of the intake manifold...so its best to the heat shield the piping to drop the air intake temps...

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I have absolutely nothing to add to this except that I recently drove a Jetta with the new 1.4 motor and was genuinely impressed in stock form.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have absolutely nothing to add to this except that I recently drove a Jetta with the new 1.4 motor and was genuinely impressed in stock form.

They are very good stock...nice & "peppy"....light weight at circa 100kg for the engine...so fast nose on the twisty roads...

barbarian94

Car(s)
Golf GT Edition Mk7
I was quoted ~£350 for a custom remap and they put it on the Dyno before and after... For the Revo there was no Dyno involved and £475, it's hard to decide which! I'm not planning on doing any other mods other than a remap for the foreseeable future

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I was quoted ~£350 for a custom remap and they put it on the Dyno before and after... For the Revo there was no Dyno involved and £475, it's hard to decide which! I'm not planning on doing any other mods other than a remap for the foreseeable future

Chasing dyno figures is a waste of time, & dynos can vary by make, type, calibration etc...

there are only three things they mainly change, fuelling, timing of spark plug firing & boost pressure

Fuelling needs to be set to max, this allows the pump to pump fuel at max IF the the ecu demands it..currently the pump cannot do this as the VW map will not allow it.

Timing of spark plug firing needs to be advance more to run properly on 98/99RON as the VW map is set up specifically for 95 RON, but will cope with 91RON....the higher the octane the more advanced the timing is required to be.

Boost, this is how much the electronically controlled wastegate is told to open to reduce the boost pressure in the turbo.....so increasing boost means that the turbo wastegate is told to remain closed for longer to allow for more pressure to build up. Most just ramp it up stupid so it looks good on the dyno, its not needed that much in reality....as causes too any other problems..

Custom maps only required as & when you have a different turbo etc...

If the custom map will not go stupid on boost & you can tell them to reduce the torque in the first two gears to protect the weak clutch fitted to these cars (if manual) then fine...