GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Curb-parking My Alltrack - bad for suspension/tires?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Hey guys, I just moved to a new place where I park my car on a narrow Philly side street, half the car up on the sidewalk, The other half on the ground. The curb itself is a pretty standard height curb, if a little smaller than “normal.”

I am wondering how bad this is for my suspension, strut mounts, bushings, and tires on a day-in, day-out basis. Granted, my car is on stock suspension and I already have the parts to upgrade (strut mounts springs and dampers). So even if it is bad for the stock suspension, i don’t really care all that much. But I guess I’m concerned about my alignment and my tires, as I just put some nice stuff (RSE-10+AS4) on and I’d hate to get less life out of the AS4’s than I could’ve had I been parking on a flat surface.

just looking for any input from knowledgeable suspension guys, or people who have lived in similar conditions with their cars. Did you have to get an alignment more often? Did your tires wear out quicker?

Any and all input, feedback, or discussion is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I doubt that this will have any serious consequences on the suspension if the difference in height between one side on the car to the other is 4 inches or less as you indicate. Of course this probably depends on how you get the one side of the car up on the sidewalk.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Can...you just move again?

That seems like the best option.

lol... Philly things. We also park in the middle of the street on Broad, where the city intended cars turning left to have a spot in the middle without messing traffic up.

I’m not sure if the city explicitly allows this, or if Philadelphians just fought the City/PPA enough they gave up haha. Doubtful on the latter... the PPA never sleeps, and they never give up.

Seriously - parking wars’ first season and whole reason for being is because of the Philadelphia Parking Authority. It’s unreal out here

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I doubt that this will have any serious consequences on the suspension if the difference in height between one side on the car to the other is 4 inches or less as you indicate. Of course this probably depends on how you get the one side of the car up on the sidewalk.

there is actually an even lower, ~2inch section at the mouth of my street that I pull up on and pull up half on the curb half off up to my house 3 doors down. Seems like none of my neighbors at the beginning of the street own cars, I always have the whole runway available to me.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Can...you just move again?

That seems like the best option.

i will also add that this is temporary. My girlfriend and I have lived at her parents’ for the last year, which was particularly fortuitous for us because 1) no rent, 2) bc covid, no student Loan payments, 3) bc covid, no work commute expense (previously ~$200/mo). 4) bc covid, I got my car with the 6 months no payments.

we saved up as hard as we could to buy a house, we just weren’t quite there yet. So this is a cheap place where we can still save up a good amount considering all new expenses lol. We’re buying property Outside of Philly when this lease is up. A place with a driveway, garage etc lol

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
there is actually an even lower, ~2inch section at the mouth of my street that I pull up on and pull up half on the curb half off up to my house 3 doors down. Seems like none of my neighbors at the beginning of the street own cars, I always have the whole runway available to me.
What you describe is no different than putting the front wheels upon ramps to change the oil and ramps are much higher. As long as you approach the 2 inch curb at crawling speed and go up slow then no damage should be done to the wheels, tires, or suspension.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
What you describe is no different than putting the front wheels upon ramps to change the oil and ramps are much higher. As long as you approach the 2 inch curb at crawling speed and go up slow then no damage should be done to the wheels, tires, or suspension.

yeah I’m real ginger with it. If anything - the part taking the worst beating is my clutch, since I kiss the curb slowly before giving it any gas to get up the curb.

I’m likely overthinking it. Maybe I’ll just sit on my upgrade parts until I move somewhere I don’t have to park like this next year. Car only has 8K miles lol, I’m trying to find rationalizations to get SOME more value out of the factory equipment. delays maintenance/replacement of the upgraded parts on the backend, too.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
If concerned about the clutch build a ramp of sorts with a 2 x 8 by some length that would make it easier. This could just be placed in the hatch or behind your seat for easy access.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
lol... Philly things. We also park in the middle of the street on Broad, where the city intended cars turning left to have a spot in the middle without messing traffic up.

I’m not sure if the city explicitly allows this, or if Philadelphians just fought the City/PPA enough they gave up haha. Doubtful on the latter... the PPA never sleeps, and they never give up.

Seriously - parking wars’ first season and whole reason for being is because of the Philadelphia Parking Authority. It’s unreal out here
That sucks.