GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS Turbo Lightweight Crank Pulley

njkymk7GTI

Ready to race!
How many people are running this? Any issues? I have had mine on for about 18 months and I am now noticing a squeaking and some oil leaked out onto the undercarriage directly below it. I am trying to cover all bases and see if this has happened to anyone else.

flygteye

Ready to race!
You probably won't get many replies since everyone thinks this part will destroy your engine. I've had mine on for 10,000 miles and no problems at all.

njkymk7GTI

Ready to race!
You probably won't get many replies since everyone thinks this part will destroy your engine. I've had mine on for 10,000 miles and no problems at all.

why do most people think it will destroy your engine? I have never heard that before. I haven't really researched how many other people have it and reviews, but I have had it on for a while now and have had 0 issues. Over 15,000 miles on it.

You have any idea of what could be causing the squeaking and oil leaking on that side though?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Video and pictures would go a long way here to getting any credible help.

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
The general consensus for lightweight pulleys is that they add to the vibration occurring in the engine. The stock crank pulley is made at a certain weight to harmonically balance the engine at a certain RPM range (where it will spend most of its life). The light weight pulleys decrease reciprocating mass (and slightly lessen parasitic loss if they are an underdrive pulley) but do a worse job of balancing the engine.

I researched this to death since I have had lightweight pulleys on previous cars and no issue. I ended up buying the Fluidampr pulley and its been great. They are heavier than stock by roughly 2 lbs but have shown proven 10-20whp and tq gains depending on mods. They achieve this through better balancing the engine via a silicone liquid-filled inner ring. The smoothness translates to more power and literally outweighs the heavier weight of the pulley. They are balanced to 8k rpm which most cars will never see, but for those with a tune and a 7k redline there is the additional benefit since we are well outside the stock or a lightweight pulleys harmonic range.

Hopefully the pulley in not the issue but it doesn't sound great. It sounds like a seal is leaking in that area which could be from additional vibration. Keep us posted and good luck!

njkymk7GTI

Ready to race!
The general consensus for lightweight pulleys is that they add to the vibration occurring in the engine. The stock crank pulley is made at a certain weight to harmonically balance the engine at a certain RPM range (where it will spend most of its life). The light weight pulleys decrease reciprocating mass (and slightly lessen parasitic loss if they are an underdrive pulley) but do a worse job of balancing the engine.

I researched this to death since I have had lightweight pulleys on previous cars and no issue. I ended up buying the Fluidampr pulley and its been great. They are heavier than stock by roughly 2 lbs but have shown proven 10-20whp and tq gains depending on mods. They achieve this through better balancing the engine via a silicone liquid-filled inner ring. The smoothness translates to more power and literally outweighs the heavier weight of the pulley. They are balanced to 8k rpm which most cars will never see, but for those with a tune and a 7k redline there is the additional benefit since we are well outside the stock or a lightweight pulleys harmonic range.

Hopefully the pulley in not the issue but it doesn't sound great. It sounds like a seal is leaking in that area which could be from additional vibration. Keep us posted and good luck!

Thank you for this!!! Well, in your honest opinion, do you think it is worth the $400 and replace the CTS one? I am all about smooth, solid parts and doing everything right.

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
Judging by what others say that have the fluidampr (I think RJ went from lightweight pulley to fluidampr as well) I would think it is worth it. Just for smoothness and peace of mind

njkymk7GTI

Ready to race!
Judging by what others say that have the fluidampr (I think RJ went from lightweight pulley to fluidampr as well) I would think it is worth it. Just for smoothness and peace of mind

I think that is the route I am going to go. I would rather spend a few hundred dollars and have the peace of mind and know for a fact that everything is how it should be.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
The issue is that when you go with the lightweight pulley, they are rigid one piece aluminum.

This no longer dampens any vibrations.

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/120-engine-modifications/46664-crank-pulley-info.html

^^This is a pretty good read.

In case you need a more reputable source due to the stigma the Scion brand has...

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3972/Fluidampr-The-Independent-Test.aspx
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2379494&postcount=9

There's a reason there are companies that make pulleys that are lighter and provide more dampening.

Last edited:

njkymk7GTI

Ready to race!
So I was recently told that the front main seal could be leaking the oil and causing the squeaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
+1. Replacing a damper with a hunk of metal (though lighter) doesn't do anything good for the car. Considering how sensitive the cars knock sensors are to even normal vibrations, I'd imagine any type of logging with an AP would probably show your car is pulling timing due to false knock caused by the lightweight pulley (just a theory, as always, without logs...).

Replacing it with a superior designed dampen is the way you want to go. They have shown decent gains on the mk6 with the fluiddamper. No real info on the mk7.

Regardless, looking at minor increases. Outside of tune, (IS38), intercooler, and DP, everything is relatively little gain on these cars. (lotta money to get an extra 5 or 10 hp).

wlfpck

Ready to race!
+1. Replacing a damper with a hunk of metal (though lighter) doesn't do anything good for the car. Replacing it with a superior designed dampen is the way you want to go. They have shown decent gains on the mk6 with the fluiddamper. No info on the mk7.

Regardless, looking at minor increases. Outside of tune, intercooler, and DP, everything is relatively little gain on these cars. (lotta money to get an extra 5 or 10 hp)

^^Yep.

PacificGerman uses the fluiddampr. If the lightweight, undampened pulleys were that great... he wouldn't be using a more expensive one.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7094801-Pacific-German-Mk7-GTI-Race-Car-Build-Thread&

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
Thank you for this!!! Well, in your honest opinion, do you think it is worth the $400 and replace the CTS one? I am all about smooth, solid parts and doing everything right.

No problem. I do think its worth the money. I plan on putting a fair amount of miles on this car and it being full bolt on for most of its life. After finding a few really nice looking dynos from all different types of cars (some of stage 2 MK6 GTi making around 18whp up top) I was sold. Not to mention this comes as an OEM part on some exotics and is common on built race motors.

I can honestly say the car feels stronger and is very noticeably smoother at WOT especially above 5800 rpm. I did lots of pulls before and after install and it was stronger from mid to top. I was on snow tires but was getting spin in 3rd gear where I had traction a few hours before the pulley install. It's a really high-quality product and it gave me a decent bump in power, lowered NVH and is good for engine life. Really no downside outside the price. I bet you can sell the CTS and recoup some money go this route if you choose.

njkymk7GTI

Ready to race!
No problem. I do think its worth the money. I plan on putting a fair amount of miles on this car and it being full bolt on for most of its life. After finding a few really nice looking dynos from all different types of cars (some of stage 2 mk6 gti making around 18whp up top) I was sold. Not to mention this comes as an OEM part on some exotics and is common on built race motors.

I can honestly say the car feels stronger and is very noticeably smoother at WOT especially above 5800 rpm. It's a really high-quality product and it give me a decent bump in power, lowered NVH and is good for engine life. Really no downside outside the price. I bet you can sell the CTS and recoop some money go this route if you choose.

Exactly! Probably sell the CTS one for $150 so really only pay $250 for the fluidampr one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk