GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSS knuckle/hub install/results OEM Camber Fix

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
The TT LCAs have adjustable ball joints (yes, running OE Febi parts) - however the track is already wide (TT geometry is a bit different) so I couldn't go past ~halfway on the adjustability without compromising tie rod end length, not enough threads left. Will let my shop take care of alignment next week, will post results then.

Yes, they should work fine with standard alu spindles, @odessa.filez is the resident expert and is running them with steel spindles.

One thing to be aware of is aftermarket bushings won't fit in the TT arms (I tried and failed fitting a set of rear poly bushings). The TT bushings they come with are already solid, and superpro poly front bushings will fit fine if you really want to run those.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
The TT LCAs have adjustable ball joints (yes, running OE Febi parts) - however the track is already wide (TT geometry is a bit different) so I couldn't go past ~halfway on the adjustability without compromising tie rod end length, not enough threads left. Will let my shop take care of alignment next week, will post results then.

Yes, they should work fine with standard alu spindles, @odessa.filez is the resident expert and is running them with steel spindles.

One thing to be aware of is aftermarket bushings won't fit in the TT arms (I tried and failed fitting a set of rear poly bushings). The TT bushings they come with are already solid, and superpro poly front bushings will fit fine if you really want to run those.
Are these the MK3 TT aluminum LCA or are they from the MK3 TTRS? And by rode length, do you mean tie rod?

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Are these the MK3 TT aluminum LCA or are they from the MK3 TTRS? And by rode length, do you mean tie rod?

8S0407151D

I think it comes fitted to all Mk3 TTs.

Yes - tie rod length is compromised. The further out you run the ball joints the more you have to extend the tie rod ends to keep toe neutral. In the middle of the adjustment range I got about 11-12 threads in, not comfortable with any less. Track is wide enough already, I have no desire to kick it out further.

EDIT: I have an S3, YMMV on golfs

Last edited:
Reactions: ATR

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
8S0407151D

I think it comes fitted to all Mk3 TTs.

Yes - tie rod length is compromised. The further out you run the ball joints the more you have to extend the tie rod ends to keep toe neutral. In the middle of the adjustment range I got about 11-12 threads in, not comfortable with any less. Track is wide enough already, I have no desire to kick it out further.

EDIT: I have an S3, YMMV on golfs
Wondering if simply swapping in the tie rods from the TT would do the trick to keep things more in check :unsure:

Also wondering if this messes with caster or if it keeps it in the original position?

The S3 and Golf GTI/R have very similar overall suspension setups. I know the front control arms are the same between them going by this (Fits these cars shows both the Golf and Audi a3/s3):
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/contr-arm/5wa407152/

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Wondering if simply swapping in the tie rods from the TT would do the trick to keep things more in check :unsure:

Also wondering if this messes with caster or if it keeps it in the original position?

The S3 and Golf GTI/R have very similar overall suspension setups. I know the front control arms are the same between them going by this (Fits these cars shows both the Golf and Audi a3/s3):
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/contr-arm/5wa407152/

Possible, but my money is on inner tie rods needing to be replaced with longer ones, and TT probably has diff steering rack and tie rods, didn't feel the need to experiment.

A3/S3s are the same - subframe, arms, etc. etc. but fenders are slightly different so setting that worked for me not guaranteed to work for golf, though another member is running a very similar configuration to me.

I believe touch of positive caster, I overlaid the two arms when I had them and rear bushings are extended from the arm just a touch, meaning the spindle moves forward when arm is installed vs before. Similar geometry as the superpro offset bushings.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Possible, but my money is on inner tie rods needing to be replaced with longer ones, and TT probably has diff steering rack and tie rods, didn't feel the need to experiment.

A3/S3s are the same - subframe, arms, etc. etc. but fenders are slightly different so setting that worked for me not guaranteed to work for golf, though another member is running a very similar configuration to me.

I believe touch of positive caster, I overlaid the two arms when I had them and rear bushings are extended from the arm just a touch, meaning the spindle moves forward when arm is installed vs before. Similar geometry as the superpro offset bushings.
Thanks for the info!! Definitely adds some good options for us :cool:

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Hey guys, I just installed the CS S knuckles and wow I did not expect any changes in feel but mid corner the car has way more turn-in for the same amount of steering angle. I was almost feeling like needing to watch out for oversteer.

This is a very worth while mod. Highly recommend it and also appreciate all the help here

Last edited:

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
I tracked my car for the first time with the knuckles this weekend as well. Just wants to change direction v quickly vs before, even on highway. On track the load-up going into a turn is much faster, car just instantly squats left/right when initiating. Installed new control arms + bushings at same time so not direct conclusion but think the additional camber is the main source.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I tracked my car for the first time with the knuckles this weekend as well. Just wants to change direction v quickly vs before, even on highway. On track the load-up going into a turn is much faster, car just instantly squats left/right when initiating. Installed new control arms + bushings at same time so not direct conclusion but think the additional camber is the main source.

Negative camber doesn't have the ability to load the suspension quicker, bushings do.

kstrike155

Car(s)
GTI
Part numbers:
5Q0407254E
5Q0407253E

I also bought, new axle bolts, ball joint nuts and wheel bearing bolts (reused my stock bearings as the car only has 30k miles)
Very helpful post, thank you. Looking to do this on my GTI as the lack of negative camber absolutely eats tires on the track. Do you have the part numbers for the new nuts and bolts you used?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Very helpful post, thank you. Looking to do this on my GTI as the lack of negative camber absolutely eats tires on the track. Do you have the part numbers for the new nuts and bolts you used?

This is a fantastic no compromise way to get negative camber, just make sure it doesn't run afoul of any rules for the classes your plan to run if you do Time Trials or autocross.

If you're just lapping for fun, the CSS knuckle and Eurosport camber kit combined get you almost -3 and zero added NVH when combined.

Reactions: kep

kstrike155

Car(s)
GTI
just make sure it doesn't run afoul of any rules for the classes your plan to run if you do Time Trials or autocross.
I do autocross and HPDE, but I'm not competitive in any way (3 small children means no time). It would technically bump me into the Prepared autocross category, which kind of sucks, but I just go a few times a year to compete with the local club.

Really, I just don't want to burn through a set of tires after 3 track events.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I do autocross and HPDE, but I'm not competitive in any way (3 small children means no time). It would technically bump me into the Prepared autocross category, which kind of sucks, but I just go a few times a year to compete with the local club.

Really, I just don't want to burn through a set of tires after 3 track events.

I'd go with eurosport camber kit. It'll keep you in STH and give approx -2.2 at 1 in lower than stock.

If you need more, do the powerflex offset LCA bushings. They make a street version.

There's no point doing a mod that will ensure you're never be competitive.

Last edited:

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I'm excited my post helped others gain the negative camber they were seeking without any compromise...besides a lighter wallet.
The extra camber helped at my local track, saving tires along the way.
I wonder what knuckle the MK8 Golf R uses, I'm also eyeing the MK8 brakes and rotors as a possible no non-sense upgrade for our MK7's. Thoughts?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I'm also eyeing the MK8 brakes and rotors as a possible no non-sense upgrade for our MK7's. Thoughts?
I thought about it, but brand new it was about $1500 with new calipers and oem rotors. I am not sure what pad choices will be out, and in what time frame and also the MK8 uses a different master cylinder than the MK7.

So, I just went with a ST-60 kit, which is made for the platform, has tons of pad choices and probably the best mod I did to the car.