GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSS knuckle/hub install/results OEM Camber Fix

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I thought about it, but brand new it was about $1500 with new calipers and oem rotors. I am not sure what pad choices will be out, and in what time frame and also the MK8 uses a different master cylinder than the MK7.

So, I just went with a ST-60 kit, which is made for the platform, has tons of pad choices and probably the best mod I did to the car.

I went with the Macan Brembo upgrade, which is half the cost, or less, though I know you didn't have good luck when you tried it.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I went with the Macan Brembo upgrade, which is half the cost, or less, though I know you didn't have good luck when you tried it.
Yeah the Macans were pretty terrible to me on track.

The ST-60 is night and day difference in pedal feel and I've save a lot on pads too with the upgrade. Pads last much longer with the increase in rotor and caliper size

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Very helpful post, thank you. Looking to do this on my GTI as the lack of negative camber absolutely eats tires on the track. Do you have the part numbers for the new nuts and bolts you used?
The part numbers I actually got from shop dap that they shipped were a bit different for the two knuckles. Not sure if maybe it is because the parts were updated.

As for the hardware, this is the list that were curated for me by shop dap when I got on the phone with them:

1637096144256.png

You should probably be able to exclude the front caliper carrier bolt as I don't know for sure that it is a stretch bolt, and also exclude the last item (COBB)

Whats missing from this list were the nuts part number N90942902 for the steering tie rod (x2) and also the lower ball joint bolts part number N10332002 (x6, 3 on each side).

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Yeah the Macans were pretty terrible to me on track.

The ST-60 is night and day difference in pedal feel and I've save a lot on pads too with the upgrade. Pads last much longer with the increase in rotor and caliper size
Mind if you share the part # on your st-60?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Thanks! Been chasing better pedal feel and nothing has helped (and "stock-like" isn't really a positive, heh).
A Stoptech kit, even the ST-40 would be much better than the stock stuff. Pedal feel, depending on pads, is whatever you want and the best part is no more brake fade, or glazed pads in a day.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
A Stoptech kit, even the ST-40 would be much better than the stock stuff. Pedal feel, depending on pads, is whatever you want and the best part is no more brake fade, or glazed pads in a day.
This is veering way OT but I compared piston area for the BBKs I'd eventually consider and the ST-40 had by far the smallest piston are, which would lead me to assume the pedal would be significantly more responsive. That's a sentiment I've seen reflected elsewhere, too. The ST-60 seems on par with other seemingly well-designed kits, with ~10% less piston area than stock (vs ST-40 being over 25% less).
Not to derail the thread but there are a few braking-related VCDS/ODBEleven changes you can make which make a significant difference. Hydraulic brake assist being the biggest change.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/vcds-track-autox-mods.334206/
Did those as I changed my setup and it helped but after driving a car with a very nice AP competition kit the stock caliper travel feels quite dead. Not sure if it's the anti-knockback springs or what but it's something I'm chasing now.