GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Why The Volkswagen GTI's Electric Transformation Is Ruffling Purists' Feathers

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
On the subject of cameras....

I speak to too many people who have "all the gear & no idea" & are disappointed with their results...Mind you its a case of the camera gear shop salesman selling them expensive stuff which is not really what they need...& a combination of not reading/wading through the PDF digital/on-line manual...

I don't recommend "full auto" modes.....I shoot in "A" mode 95% of the time, as its best for me & works for most photography. If you're having problems with a mirrorless or DSLR set it to "A" mode, ISO400, F8 & just use the exposure comp button to move the histogram around to keep the "bump" in the middle...Also set it to matrix/all area metering..
The above settings will give you a good average for a point & shoot set up...unless you are shooting fast moving stuff then up the ISO to 800...

i live in aperture priority mode. it's the setting i care most about, so I just let the super smart camera pick up the slack with shutter speed and iso. only time i'm in fully manual is when i'm specifically aiming for motion blur. although, it's very easy to get motion blur with aperture priority enabled, just shoot in the dark.

This is a recent film shot. Kodak XX film, 400iso, 2s shutter, I wanna say f/5.6, if not f/8. I braced the camera on the edge of the pool table.
000065630019.jpeg

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I am a less desirable target 😂

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
So, that's largely a myth that's been propagated by Apple fanboys. The reality is that OS X (and previous iterations of the Mac OS as well) are just as vulnerable as Windows, but there aren't as many examples of those vulnerabilities being utilized simply because less desirable targets operate on MacOS. I will grant though, that the Unix backbone of OS X is definitely a benefit, though most people will go through their entire computer-using lives without using the terminal in the slightest. Another factor of security in OS X (which has, to a degree been copied by Windows iterations) is the use of superuser access, where traditionally in Windows people would be signed in with an administrator account that could do all manner of things. *Nix-based OSes (Linux in various flavors, Unix, and derivatives) will have you signed in as a standard user, and in order to execute privileged actions you need to input an administrator password, which can help protect the user from themselves. Windows has introduced this in the form of User Account Control, however the problem here is that most users see it as just another step, and will turn it off without knowing the implications.

I won't turn this into a this-versus-that discussion and don't really want to go down that path, but it's the same as the idea that MacOS is better for graphic design work -- this stopped being a thing with the end of using Apple's PowerPC architecture, since they started using x86 the playing field was even between the two. I don't have knowledge regarding the M1 chips, but it was a commonly-parroted falsehood that hasn't been accurate for a long time now.

I’m not too involved in the computer world but thanks for the info.

I just got an M1 Mac after I was hitting roadblocks from being out of date with my 2011 MacBook. I was amazed at how well I could still use it with its i5 and 8GB of RAM. Slow yes but still capable.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
i live in aperture priority mode. it's the setting i care most about, so I just let the super smart camera pick up the slack with shutter speed and iso. only time i'm in fully manual is when i'm specifically aiming for motion blur. although, it's very easy to get motion blur with aperture priority enabled, just shoot in the dark.

This is a recent film shot. Kodak XX film, 400iso, 2s shutter, I wanna say f/5.6, if not f/8. I braced the camera on the edge of the pool table.
View attachment 282581

Nice creative shot, love it. That’s the only time I go into manual, for creative purposes really.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I’m not too involved in the computer world but thanks for the info.

I just got an M1 Mac after I was hitting roadblocks from being out of date with my 2011 MacBook. I was amazed at how well I could still use it with its i5 and 8GB of RAM. Slow yes but still capable.
Aaaaay 2011 sounds like it may be an A1278 -- the disk drives on those would stop working correctly because people pick them up one-handed by the side, and you'd wind up having to bend the opening to the drive to get it working correctly again. I worked on a decent number of those, not my favorite and not the worst. Personally I think the A1466 and A1502 are the two best Mac laptops (no idea what year/generation they are). The newer ones got to be too awful to work on.

I was a senior laptop/tablet technician for several years before (finally) getting into IT, and now another transition has got me basically as a printer mechanic and hardware technician, which is super fun because arguing with software is not fun. I pretty much get to flex a bit of my technical knowledge while using mechanical experience from fighting VWs, it's the perfect role for what I like to do.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Shit, I was annoyed enough just by how itunes with an ipod/itouch behaves on a pc. When I got my first android phone I was so happy to learn it was as simple as using a folder and being able to drag and drop songs in and out folders as I needed them. I guess none of that really matters anymore. I don't really own music anymore.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Shit, I was annoyed enough just by how itunes with an ipod/itouch behaves on a pc. When I got my first android phone I was so happy to learn it was as simple as using a folder and being able to drag and drop songs in and out folders as I needed them. I guess none of that really matters anymore. I don't really own music anymore.

I remember going through that with my iPod and the house PC. There are certain quirks that you have to learn cause it’s frustrating if you use it like a PC.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I used to but when you are trying to get pics of moving kids or a bday party you don’t want to miss the shot.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Like this pic of my daughter. I was following the kids around on the playground and she happened to look up as I was looking down the tire hole. It was super sunny that day and it was dark down the hole. I probably would have missed the shot if I had to mess with too many settings.

C6AEA798-42E4-4D86-9043-50E9AE81290B.jpeg

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Like this pic of my daughter. I was following the kids around on the playground and she happened to look up as I was looking down the tire hole. It was super sunny that day and it was dark down the hole. I probably would have missed the shot if I had to mess with too many settings.

View attachment 282586
man if I had photoshop on this computer this would become a vampire picture SO quickly. Glad I don't (hopefully) have to go through the losing teeth thing again, teeth and fingernails bug me out

looks like a good photo though

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
man if I had photoshop on this computer this would become a vampire picture SO quickly. Glad I don't (hopefully) have to go through the losing teeth thing again, teeth and fingernails bug me out

looks like a good photo though
lol, Yea that reminded me I went through that for a while. My 2 baby front teeth had to be removed early, so I think it was like a full year of not having front teeth.