GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I’ll take the elevator
With penis in hand

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yes, insurance rates have gone up far more than inflation. They are blaming it on increased repair costs due to more assistance systems and replacement car costs.

Michigan (being a no-fault state) is notorious for high rates.

You should shop around AND look at your deductibles carefully. Most insurance (IDK about Michigan) has two parts - liability and comprehensive. Liability covers you for stuff that is your fault. You'll want to increase your deductible as high as you can afford (say $1k) as low deductibles are expensive. OTOH, a low deductible of the comp side (stuff that isn't your fault - fire/theft/hitting a deer/road debris, verified hit-and-run etc.) is cheap. Look at a $100 or $500 deductible here. In most states, glass claims fall under comp, so you can recoup your increased rates on your first claim.

Insurance companies love to sneak in warranties/towing/rental car coverage and that can add up to a couple of 100 a year.

My theory is that if I do something stupid, then I should pay a higher deductible and my rental car.

If somebody else does something stupid and causes damage to me or my car, then their insurance will pay for my rental - regardless of if I have rental car coverage.
Forgot to follow up on this, sorry.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that being in Michigan is screwing me over/always has, with the no fault shit, as your insurance is who covers you for the most part regardless of fault.

They tried to reform it (lowering the injury coverage from unlimited to lower limits) and that (supposedly) everyone would save money....yeah, that didn't work. :rolleyes:

I've always had the same basic coverage....$100 comprehensive & $500 standard collision deductibles. No other coverages (like towing or rental cars), as our cars are new/newer & I'd rely on the manufacturer's roadside or something instead -- if needed.

Waiting for a reply back from another agency (that deals with a bunch of different companies), but I got a "okay" quote from a agent that dealt with Auto Owner's insurance. (if anyone has heard of or dealt with them?)
It was like $2600 or $2700 for the year with better coverage than we currently have for the 2 cars.

Then I'd have to get separate Hagerty, Grundy, or American Collectors insurance for the SRT-4.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
hows bonzai land?

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Sweet, beautiful baby Jesus! I’m seriously considering this.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-volkswagen-r32-190/

From the side bar of that listing:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2021-mercedes-benz-sprinter-4x4-37/

Think I might buy this thing just to go grocery shopping. Brodozer spring is over, it's all about hot campervan summer now. Honestly as an idea/concept I think campervans and overlanding gear are super cool, I just don't think I could live that lifestyle.

Last edited: