Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
@riceburner more like [redacted] 🧐

Last edited:

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Like, OEM spark plugs are $8/ea from the dealer.

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__Golf-R/Spark-Plug/54564583/06K905601B.html

Figure getting charged an hour of labor for $150, even though the job takes 20 minutes, I'd expect a "reasonable" charge for swapping plugs at a dealer to be ~$200. Which I think is still ridiculous, but that I get. It's a business, they got overhead, etc., etc...

Charging $300+ for $35 of parts and 20 minutes of labor is just exorbitant. Ain't no way that can be justified.
Those plugs list out for $11.28/ea.

Plus what's the book time on a spark plug job bc that's how literally everyone charges for labor time.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Woodski just rolling in past 10 insane comments to talk about spark plugs 😂
Just got back from driving the delivery van and am catching up. I just hate when people shit talk about things they don't have the experience with. Our labor rate here at Audi is $195/hr, which I think is actually insane but all jobs, at indy or dealers are priced for labor by the book times. No professional tech will get paid for the actual time it takes them to do a job bc then you don't make real money.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Those plugs list out for $11.28/ea.

Plus what's the book time on a spark plug job bc that's how literally everyone charges for labor time.

I know how it's done. Doesn't make it right or less scummy.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
I know how it's done. Doesn't make it right or less scummy.
So you'd be totally cool as a tech for getting paid twenty minutes for the 4 plugs vs the two hours you'd get paid by book time?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So you'd be totally cool as a tech for getting paid twenty minutes for the 4 plugs vs the two hours you'd get paid by book time?

So you're telling me if a tech does a spark plug job, he gets paid the full $300 (assuming $150/hr labor rate)? None of that goes to the dealership?

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
So you're telling me if a tech does a spark plug job, he gets paid the full $300 (assuming $150/hr labor rate)? None of that goes to the dealership?
of course not, but he does see probably $80 of it if you're at the top pay plan. Rest of it is to keep the lights on, pay the buildings bills, and pocket a bit.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
of course not, but he does see probably $80 of it if you're at the top pay plan. Rest of it is to keep the lights on, pay the buildings bills, and pocket a bit.

Are the techs are your dealer paid an hourly rate, or flat rate based on jobs?

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Are the techs are your dealer paid an hourly rate, or flat rate based on jobs?
flat rate. our top tech usually books between 80-100hr/wk.