GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Idk. I never changed how I worked or lied about what I could do because of the amount of money I made. If I don’t like the pay I still give you 100% but will find work for more money if I think I am worth more.

Our pay rate for maintenance is in line with the surrounding area. People claim to know things but don’t. Can’t get to work on time, call out all the time. Get mad because they haven’t gotten a raise. Stop being lazy and worthless and do something about it.
Low unemployment, high inflation, and lots of people nervous about the economy makes for a rough time finding employees. People who have jobs are nervous about swapping them because of layoffs in the news, even though it's mostly just tech sector. Couple that with inflation and you end up with people who feel like they should make a lot more, but also don't want to change jobs, so lots of people unsatisfied with what are really pretty good jobs and the few who are out there looking really want it to be worth their while.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Finding people with mechanical/technical skills (and desire to do it) is difficult. I have been approached numerous times by people trying to poach me. I like the shop I'm in and they tolerate my "quirks". The job constantly evolves and it is difficult to have someone knowledgeable in all the fields that are needed. My old boss came up one day after I was out saying "I opened up the control box and didn't even know what half the things in it were"

It used to be just mechanical/hydraulics/electrical....now it it those fields plus computers (along with building trades)

Edit: I would put up real $ I could get a job offer within one week

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Finding people with mechanical/technical skills (and desire to do it) is difficult. I have been approached numerous times by people trying to poach me. I like the shop I'm in and they tolerate my "quirks". The job constantly evolves and it is difficult to have someone knowledgeable in all the fields that are needed. My old boss came up one day after I was out saying "I opened up the control box and didn't even know what half the things in it were"

It used to be just mechanical/hydraulics/electrical....now it it those fields plus computers (along with building trades)

Yes absolutely. For the longest time my job was looking for journeymen electricians and they didn’t know why they couldn’t work on the floor as control technicians. It is constantly evolving and takes a certain skill set that is hard to find apparently.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Low unemployment, high inflation, and lots of people nervous about the economy makes for a rough time finding employees. People who have jobs are nervous about swapping them because of layoffs in the news, even though it's mostly just tech sector. Couple that with inflation and you end up with people who feel like they should make a lot more, but also don't want to change jobs, so lots of people unsatisfied with what are really pretty good jobs and the few who are out there looking really want it to be worth their while.

Yes we have had 1 or 2 people that looked promising but wanted more money then we were willing to pay for them to leave current employer.

Seems like the only people who are out of work at the ones you don’t want.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Hard to do in a labor shortage, and high turnover is an expesnive (though sometime unavoidable) proposition.
And poor performance hurts outputs and efficiency. Long term outlook favors performance evaluation driven retention.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
And poor performance hurts outputs and efficiency. Long term outlook favors performance evaluation driven retention.

I’m saving this for my boss.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Idk. I never changed how I worked or lied about what I could do because of the amount of money I made. If I don’t like the pay I still give you 100% but will find work for more money if I think I am worth more.

Our pay rate for maintenance is in line with the surrounding area. People claim to know things but don’t. Can’t get to work on time, call out all the time. Get mad because they haven’t gotten a raise. Stop being lazy and worthless and do something about it.
I wish we lived in the world where you could pay a premium but simply demand the best.

We instead live in the world of pay as little as possible and hope for the best.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Jay frfr how many times have you recieve $3 paypal? Im pretty sure i have around 3x.

Jay won't give me his email or I'd PayPal $3 weekly as a thank you salary for cleaning up the forums.

(and expect nudes in return)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you want to buy, I'll store them for you.

This is a pretty safe bet. We know he likes sitting on parts for months, so you don't have to worry about him stealing them 🤣

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Most important daily topic, what's for lunch :unsure:
Roast beef and cheddar sandwich. Light mayo, spinach and salt and pepper.

Had a different Publix's deli person Saturday. I asked for roast beef, she cut to some plain old Boarshead roast beef without asking a million questions.

She's allowed on my lawn.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This is a pretty safe bet. We know he likes sitting on parts for months, so you don't have to worry about him stealing them 🤣
I saved myself a new IC, bud. Never underestimate the power of procrastination.

Status
Not open for further replies.