GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I had the same thoughts and waited until 60k to tune, it was stupid. I should have tuned on day 1.

Everybody who never had an issue with their car says that. But for the few people who did wait (or didn't tune at all), and had something catastrophic fail, they're glad they didn't tune it. And people who did tune, but had engine/catastrophic failure and warranty work denied, regret it. Can find examples at both ends, and everywhere in between.

It's a game of balancing risk. Could he tune the car and be perfectly fine? Absolutely. Could he tune the car and have that slim chance something goes wrong and grenades the engine, even without it being caused by the tune, but still then be on the hook for a $35k engine replacement? Also absolutely.

Everybody knows the game is pay to play. When you tune your car, you have to accept you're on the hook for anything that might potentially go wrong. And when it's an $80k car, that's a much tougher pill to swallow.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I'd do anything for an RS3...

Horse head mask and a wicked weasel bikini in your neon-lit bedroom… in a kiddy pool of sex lube. Twitch got you, fam.

• Wow
Reactions: vu.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
It's not like tunes are even available right now. lol
No ones really cracked the ECU yet. There might be 1 or 2 tuners in germany/uk that have figured it out, but it's just beginning to happen.

The power this guy can give to these 5 cyls is pretty nuts though. I think everything in his shop has a 5 cyl or a 10 cyl.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Everybody who never had an issue with their car says that. But for the few people who did wait (or didn't tune at all), and had something catastrophic fail, they're glad they didn't tune it. And people who did tune, but had engine/catastrophic failure and warranty work denied, regret it. Can find examples at both ends, and everywhere in between.

It's a game of balancing risk. Could he tune the car and be perfectly fine? Absolutely. Could he tune the car and have that slim chance something goes wrong and grenades the engine, even without it being caused by the tune, but still then be on the hook for a $35k engine replacement? Also absolutely.

Everybody knows the game is pay to play. When you tune your car, you have to accept you're on the hook for anything that might potentially go wrong. And when it's an $80k car, that's a much tougher pill to swallow.
When you buy a car you can't afford yes. Our Florida homie has the money, if not he could just sell another yacht. problem solved

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It's not like tunes are even available right now. lol
No ones really cracked the ECU yet. There might be 1 or 2 tuners in germany/uk that have figured it out, but it's just beginning to happen.

The power this guy can give to these 5 cyls is pretty nuts though. I think everything in his shop has a 5 cyl or a 10 cyl.

So it's a moo point anyway

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
So back to the question, where you gonna use that power?

I remember Jim Lloyd telling us the story of getting clocked during a 4th gear pull. Gentleman Jim was a lucky dude on the roads but a lot of other people would have been going to jail that day.

This isn't gonna be a GTI making 305 pounds of torque on all seasons.
I have a 650hp car and the answer is very rarely, but when you do, it all feels worth it. Heck, I can't use any gear past 2nd to redline and not risk losing my license, but it's still fun to have that much power on tap.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I run no tint, because I want to be able to see things while I'm driving. Same reason I have my rear wiper.

Get off my lawn.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have a 650hp car and the answer is very rarely, but when you do, it all feels worth it. Heck, I can't use any gear past 2nd to redline and not risk losing my license, but it's still fun to have that much power on tap.
Yeah, I wasn't saying it wasn't awesome.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
7crbso.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but APR's Plus tune would be a great option once it is released. You can get most of the benefits of being tuned with piece of mind of knowing you have some coverage if something goes seriously wrong.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Status
Not open for further replies.