GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Lol thing was an automatic and an R. No way I'd ever own either of those. Faildex would drive me nuts

If you wait 6 months he'll give you a bro deal on a B5 S4 🤣

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
sell it, then mod the tacoma and go spy on Corprin in the woods 88% of the year
I also hate the Tacoma and see no point in modding that one. I spent about 100 to delete all the chrome, that's the extent of the modding it'll see

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I also hate the Tacoma and see no point in modding that one. I spent about 100 to delete all the chrome, that's the extent of the modding it'll see

Damn. Can you link to your build thread on the Tacoma forums?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I wish I had magic hands. My car is truly stumping me. First time in a very long time I can't figure something out, of course it's my own car
Been there, it really sucks.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Alright so this summer I noticed the car chugging slightly when it was warm, not full operating temp. Figured the low pressure pump was starting to show signs of needing replacement as that's what it does. I finished a track day in late september and drove it a few times after, everything was fine. One day I wanted to go for a drive and it was cranking but not starting, seemed like it wasn't getting fuel. Figured at 90k miles and a shitload of tracking I'd just replace both fuel pumps. Ordered new coil packs and spark plugs because why not, the coil packs had 18k miles, spark plugs only a few hundred but meh. So I threw the spark plugs in, coil packs first because that's the low hanging fruit but that didn't do it. I should also mention all 4 injectors were replaced and only have a few hundred miles on them if that. So next I replaced low pressure pump, and high pressure pump. Still seems like it's not getting fuel. Next I pulled the plugs and did a compression test - have compression in all 4. After that I tested to see if I was getting spark by grounding the spark plugs with them out and connected to the coil packs, tried starting it and I can see I'm getting spark on all 4. I can smell gas coming from inside from trying to start it so I disconnect the fuel rail and turn it over a bit to shoot the gas out thinking I flooded it. After some digging I decide to replace the fuel sender unit on the low pressure pump, reset the ecu by connecting the positive and negative cables together for about 20 mins. It started on the first try and stayed running for about 15 seconds, and was running normally which rules out any timing concerns, then it died again and won't restart. I'm not getting any codes either. At this point I'm thinking it's a wiring issue somewhere, possibly a crank position sensor, or camshaft position sensor.

TLDR:
  • Crank no start - no codes other than misfires.
  • Injectors are new
  • Replaced spark plugs/coil packs
  • Replaced low pressure fuel pump
  • Replaced high pressure fuel pump
  • Replaced fuel filter
  • Replaced sender unit for low pressure fuel pump
  • Car has compression on all 4
  • Car is getting spark on all 4
  • Tried a different battery
  • Bad gas is unlikely because it was driven for a while without problems and I only use shell 93
It sounds like you've got spark and fuel, what about air? I know it's stupid but have you checked your air filter? MAP sensor?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
How long does it take for a fresh high pressure system to get up to operating pressure? On some other german cars you had to program new injectors or the engine wouldn't run. A quick search showed that only applies to a TDI engine.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
It sounds like you've got spark and fuel, what about air? I know it's stupid but have you checked your air filter? MAP sensor?
The filter was replaced last year, I guess it's worth a shot to remove it and try to start it. I unplugged the maf and map and no change. Both are non vital to the car starting

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
How long does it take for a fresh high pressure system to get up to operating pressure? On some other german cars you had to program new injectors or the engine wouldn't run. A quick search showed that only applies to a TDI engine.
It ran fine after the injectors were replaced, there's no programming required on gtis after those are replaced. It's a self priming system, after it's primed a few times it should be good to go. I've replaced dozens of fuel pumps on these cars and never seen a problem

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
This. I had a MAF fail recently. @jay745 try unplugging that, it might start right up.
Edit- I see you tried that. It worked for me. Are the misfire codes new or old??

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
New, I cleared the codes before trying anything

This might be peak stupid, but could the float in the new LPFP be wrong? And you have a nearly empty/empty tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.