• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I would like to see the cost difference of all the extra gas required to drive around like an asshole, versus driving normally and potentially needing a carbon cleaning earlier. But I'm way too lazy to do all the math, so I'll just leave it at "no such thing as free lunch".

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would like to see the cost difference of all the extra gas required to drive around like an asshole, versus driving normally and potentially needing a carbon cleaning earlier. But I'm way too lazy to do all the math, so I'll just leave it at "no such thing as free lunch".
Regardless of the cost one of the methods is way more fun. 😂

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

Here is asshole-ish MPG numbers 👀

80C9301C-3303-46A1-AF6B-A76757D986B2.png

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Dang, my average is only ~0.5 MPG better than that.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Dang, my average is only ~0.5 MPG better than that.

Damn. Not bad considering I’m K04 too.

I will cruise on the highway and don’t always go full boost on acceleration but generally when I drive it it’s for fun.

Compared to the Pilot it’s cheaper per mile:

Pilot
AE213D83-87D0-4E5A-84D3-9267513182EE.jpeg

GTI
64DAA535-0CB8-43BC-9F01-31C62FF17EBC.jpeg

TDI*
C3BB91B9-C307-4E08-B149-175E2D465C14.jpeg

*TDI is cheaper then it should be since it’s been broke since diesel was around $2.75 a gallon.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
@GolNat

I've been filling up for $4.02 for several months now. The gas station near my work never seems to raise or lower their prices. Meanwhile, I see $4.30-$4.50 everywhere else.

Screenshot_20211015-110439.png

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
@GolNat

I've been filling up for $4.02 for several months now. The gas station near my work never seems to raise or lower their prices. Meanwhile, I see $4.30-$4.50 everywhere else.

View attachment 228008

Price/mile is very similar too. It’s great that adding HP really has no affect on MPG.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
80 runs...do they have any grip at all in em after that?
yes. this issue appeared at last event, where we did 10 runs on a parking lot course. event prior we had tons of grip. plan to flip three of them soon as insides look okay except for the one tire.

I typically got 100-120 runs on re-71r, concrete runways. Now competing on slower asphalt courses.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Cars driven hard definitely don't have as bad of carbon issues than cars grannied around. Buddy of mine who drives like a complete asshole all the time had barely any buildup at 120k miles. Other gtis I work on are caked around 40k.
which means my auto trans 1.8TSI that shifts for fuel economy in D is seriously caked at 80k miles

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
CSB

I got a "nice car bro" (may have been "sweet") when driving the GTI the other day. It's rare to get that when driving a GTI. He was getting out of a Pontiac Sunfire or the equivalent so I understand. I've only had about 4 comments about it when driving GTI

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
What's the equivilant of a Sunfire...

A Cobalt?

The story would be much cooler if this dude stepped out of a Vette and then said the GTI was nice.

One time I was on my favorite driving roads and I saw a 911 in the rearview. So, of course, I started hammering the gas. Obviously, I couldn't outrun this dude, but he did stop at the traffic circle to chat with me for a bit. He was surprised by the quickness of the GTI.

I was on cloud 9 for the rest of the drive 😄

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Had a C5 corvette owner (unrelated but he had a racing seat in his car) that I had passed at COTA come up to me afterwards

"That's a fast car". that's all. And was just starting at it like wtf for like 20s. Asks me if I have a timer. No. Then walks off

He was probably wondering how this stock looking Golf with POS halogen lights no less kept up on the straights and was faster in corners (admittedly not by much)

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I’ll get comments from younger kids in drive thru’s sometimes. “Nice car bro” “I almost bought one of them”.

Had a kid at the store once when I was checking out ask me what Gen GTI I had. I was like how do you know I have a GTI then remembered I was wearing my GTI hat lol. He said he was looking at getting a MK6. I said save some money and get a MK7. More tunable and more “reliable”.

A guy try to keep up with me in a 335 convertible. He pulled up next to me at the light pulled his cigar out of his mouth and said “I can respect that” nodded and went on his way.

Had a few teens ask if I had a 2 step. It’s not a Supra bro lol I do have launch control tho.

Guy the other day pulled up next to me in a Jeep Compass and asked what exhaust I had. I told him dp and resonator delete and he said it sounds nice. He had a mk1 caddy but it’s a diesel so it doesn’t sound good he said.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Had a C5 corvette owner (unrelated but he had a racing seat in his car) that I had passed at COTA come up to me afterwards

"That's a fast car". that's all. And was just starting at it like wtf for like 20s. Asks me if I have a timer. No. Then walks off

He was probably wondering how this stock looking Golf with POS halogen lights no less kept up on the straights and was faster in corners (admittedly not by much)
my car isn't fast power-wise, but it's always fun to bag some miatas at autocross. miatas are the easy button but you still have to drive them well.

I usually have my ax tires on when I arrive, but now and then I throw them in the back and roll up in stock Lyon wheels. adds to the low expectations :)

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
We're remodeling the business right now so in the last couple weeks my office has gone from 2004 to 2021. The grody old carpet is gone along with the ugly pink walls. We still need to decide on new desks and computer chairs. I also plan on making something that'll hold and display all my vinyl rolls better. It's a long time needed remodel, but it never really felt like a good time and none of us wanted to deal with moving all the furniture around to remove the carpet. It was a lot of work, but damn does it look a hell of a lot better.

No pictures of the whole office, but this is where I'm posting from occasionally.

1634602411295.png

1634602119122.png

1634601976482.png

1634602351712.png

Status
Not open for further replies.