• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Let's talk about wagons since Acadia is here already.

Otherwise, pretty sure any significant amount of posts here will attract the kind of people who ruin things that are fun.

So I've been watching just about every turbo install video I can the last few days. I stumbled upon a few by this channel 'DadWagon' who threw an IS38 in his GSW. One of his videos had this chart in it:

1634135923584.png

Following the X-axis, in no world is the Alltrack\GSW more awesome than the GTI. Some people are just delusional :ROFLMAO:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
so this came up in the ad section. Yachts for charter.....there are a couple available starting at $60,000 week and move up significantly from there.

https://www.burgessyachts.com/en/charter-a-yacht/yachts-for-charter
At first glance this seems nuts, but the more I thought about it, it's really not that bad. You can easily spend $10k per week, per couple on most of the nicer cruise lines and if you were doing a family vacation with 3-4 couples plus a few kids, this really wouldn't be that much more money and would be a lot more private. I can see the appeal.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
so this came up in the ad section. Yachts for charter.....there are a couple available starting at $60,000 week and move up significantly from there.

https://www.burgessyachts.com/en/charter-a-yacht/yachts-for-charter

1634137307589.png

Super important to have a snow room on your yacht.

At first glance this seems nuts, but the more I thought about it, it's really not that bad. You can easily spend $10k per week, per couple on most of the nicer cruise lines and if you were doing a family vacation with 3-4 couples plus a few kids, this really wouldn't be that much more money and would be a lot more private. I can see the appeal.

Yes and no. The one you're getting for $60k a week is nowhere near as luxurious as a nicer cruise line. Looks like you have to get up to the $150k range before start being somewhat 'luxurious'. The $1m and up ones are just bonkers.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
So I've been watching just about every turbo install video I can the last few days. I stumbled upon a few by this channel 'DadWagon' who threw an IS38 in his GSW. One of his videos had this chart in it:

View attachment 227811

Following the X-axis, in no world is the Alltrack\GSW more awesome than the GTI. Some people are just delusional :ROFLMAO:

The DadWagon is only up there because the guy added mods and power. Artificial! Juicin'! So all we gotta do is add mods to the GTI or R and boom, more awesome than the DadWagon. EZPZ. Game, set, and match.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
what happened with yours? The gf’s TDI Wagon’s alternator went out last week

Used the GTI for a days and when I went to take the wagon the clutch went to the floor. Tried bleeding it and replaced the bleeder block with no success. It’s probably the slave since it’s a common failure point but I have to remove the transmission from the engine to replace it so I’m dragging my feet. Already did the clutch in the GTI and it was a PITA so I’m not looking forward to it. Might try to sell it as is since the market is so hot. On top of the slave failing the pano sunroof leaked a lot of water into the passenger side. The car was just sitting how the hell did the drains get clogged!?! I have 2 Honda’s that sit outside with sun roofs and 170k on them and they don’t leak 😑. My wagon has 40k on it.

Congrats on the baby @oddspyke lots of fun lay ahead!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The DadWagon is only up there because the guy added mods and power. Artificial! Juicin'! So all we gotta do is add mods to the GTI or R and boom, more awesome than the DadWagon. EZPZ. Game, set, and match.

Power is on the Y-axis. So it makes sense to be up top. But it should be all the way to the left of the X-Axis.

I fixed his chart, it should look more like this:

1634140220445.png

His DadWagon does get some cool points for the wheels and wrap.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
We did one of these 20-30 years ago. Ours was a 100 YO 75' wooden mast sailing boat. Tiny cabin but a nice trip. I think they had about 12 cabins. You need to like to read or just sit as it ain't like a cruise ship. We liked it but haven't done it again. At the time it was a reasonable cost for a vacation.

https://www.mainewindjammercruises.com/the-fleet/

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Power is on the Y-axis. So it makes sense to be up top. But it should be all the way to the left of the X-Axis.

I fixed his chart, it should look more like this:

View attachment 227829

His DadWagon does get some cool points for the wheels and wrap.
Why all the wagon hate? I personally am a fan. Every wagon is one less CUV on the road.

Whenever I let go of the GTI, an E class or Audi wagon is going to be on the short list. E63 AMG or RS6 if prices come back to reality and I can find one. If you want a reasonable family vehicle that isn't an SUV, wagons are the way to go.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Why all the wagon hate? I personally am a fan. Every wagon is one less CUV on the road.

Whenever I let go of the GTI, an E class or Audi wagon is going to be on the short list. E63 AMG or RS6 if prices come back to reality and I can find one. If you want a reasonable family vehicle that isn't an SUV, wagons are the way to go.

"Cunt Utility Vehicle"?

So, I completely agree with the last statement. I loathe SUV's and their popularity in the US. The majority of them are absolutely unnecessary. I just hate the profile of wagons. They look like stretched and squashed hatchbacks, and aren't something that scream "sporty" to me. Even something like the RS6 Avant. It might just be a hold over of growing up in the 80's. The first thing that pops in my head when I hear "wagon" isn't an E63 AMG. It's wood paneling. That will always be what a wagon is to me. A squashed box covered in wood paneling. So an E63, or RS6 isn't "sporty". It's just a car trying to be something it's not, trying to be "cool". But it's not.

I am completely aware this is not a popular opinion, and most people would label it wrong :ROFLMAO:

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI

I definitely don't hate wagons. I just don't agree with that guy's opinion that Golf wagons are unequivocally cooler than GTI/R. When the comparison is wagon or SUV/CUV, then wagons win hands down. Wagons are cool. You just won't catch me thinking that a wagon is a cooler than its non-wagon counterpart.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Chart updated, Diggs edition:

1634146829386.png

Status
Not open for further replies.