GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cross Threaded Lug Bolts requiring new Hub?

AAK1992

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know why your considering any other option to repair it if all the bolts were cross threaded. You should just replace it and call it a day. It does hold your wheel on. If you wheel falls off and you tried some halved ass repair method your going to be liable.

I find it impossible to do all 5.. if one yay shit happens but all 5.. that sounds deliberate.

Because it seems to be a popular option that would save me money and remain a very robust repair? There is no reason not to consider it, of course I will be going with the hub replacement due to my own personal concerns but it's worth discussion when someone is potentially paying a difference of +300 bucks.

Also, I stated earlier that 2 of the 5 lug bolts were faulty. I think it was just an honest mistake, albeit a careless and stupid one, but a mistake none the less hah.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I had 2 of mine also cross threaded. I was running wobble bolts, and the shop used the impact gun (bad!)

I was able to repair mine with an off the shelf tap/die set. Found the right size and just slowly rethreaded. It repaired it perfectly fine.

Mine however were not too bad. Only a few of the threads were damaged.

justaw0rm

Because it seems to be a popular option that would save me money and remain a very robust repair? There is no reason not to consider it, of course I will be going with the hub replacement due to my own personal concerns but it's worth discussion when someone is potentially paying a difference of +300 bucks.

Also, I stated earlier that 2 of the 5 lug bolts were faulty. I think it was just an honest mistake, albeit a careless and stupid one, but a mistake none the less hah.
Hey there, what did you end up doing? Getting a new hub in? I'm in the same boat and I feel like a complete dumbass for crossthreading the damn hub.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey there, what did you end up doing? Getting a new hub in? I'm in the same boat and I feel like a complete dumbass for crossthreading the damn hub.

He posted that 2 1/2 years ago and hasn't been seen in the forum since June 2019 so I wouldn't keep checking for a response.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
He posted that 2 1/2 years ago and hasn't been seen in the forum since June 2019 so I wouldn't keep checking for a response.

At least he searched and didn't just post a new thread!

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Shit happens--but in this case, it happened to the tire place.

Clearly, you want to be made whole for all the reasons above. What's important is how the tire place handles it. They should make it no hassle for you, in which case smile, thank them, get it fixed, and move on.

If they give you a hassle about this, I don't know what to tell you other than don't go back and do tell all your friends.

The measure of a man is not that he falls, but how he recovers.
props for search I would source a new hub (see if boneyard savings are worth it)

and while I didn't always agree with Adam this was a good post.

Mud

justaw0rm

Lol thanks for jumping in ya'll.

First thing today, I went to an indie shop in Toronto 1concept Auto (Alex) and they got me covered with a new rear hub.

The OEM part alone cost $399 CAD, I had to do it as it's my daily driver and one vehicle. Total was $580 after tax including an oil change. I was really taken care of.

Alex is and his crew is dope.

If anyone is reading this USE FRIGGIN HUB RINGS. They are worth it for putting the wheels on yourself.

CEL15ON

Car(s)
2019 GTI
Once you’ve cross threaded something there isn’t metal there anymore to make a new thread with. That shop should have to eat fixing you up with new hubs.