GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking subframe

NineInchNail

Car(s)
2017 mk7 gti
Has anyone found a fix for the creaking in subframe problem that no vw dealer can seem to find. The car is 100% stock. Happens when the frame flexes during certain maneuvers. Thanx

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Just out of curiosity, how were you able to zero down that it was the subframe.

Sunroof has similar issues and well known in this platform.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Has anyone found a fix for the creaking in subframe problem that no vw dealer can seem to find. The car is 100% stock. Happens when the frame flexes during certain maneuvers. Thanx

Is this what I'm hearing?
Stock suspension, and I get a creak in some maneuvers - like entering my driveway.
I've had both my VW dealer, and indie VW/Porsche/Audi place give it a look and neither place found it.

NineInchNail

Car(s)
2017 mk7 gti
Just out of curiosity, how were you able to zero down that it was the subframe.

Sunroof has similar issues and well known in this platform.
Only happens at times during speed humps, or when going up driveways on an angle. No noise over potholes. The sunroof problem also happens but only during cold weather when the rubber stiffens up. On warm or hot days, no sound what so ever.

NineInchNail

Car(s)
2017 mk7 gti
Is this what I'm hearing?
Stock suspension, and I get a creak in some maneuvers - like entering my driveway.
I've had both my VW dealer, and indie VW/Porsche/Audi place give it a look and neither place found it.
Same exact issue with me on driveways or speed humps. i might look into the front sway bar or install a dogbone to see if it helps out because vw dealers are just wasting my time

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Try getting some silicone lubricant and spraying it on your control arm bushings. I had the same issue of an occasional creaking and that fixed my issue.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Had the same thing done by VW but it was only a temporary fix

If this fixed the issue, even temporarily, then it's not an issue with your subframe. Something like a dogbone won't change anything. Could try new bushings or new control arms. Or depending on how long the fix lasted, just spray your bushings every so often. I had the creaking issue and it hasn't come back after 6 months after lubricating the bushings.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Same exact issue with me on driveways or speed humps. i might look into the front sway bar or install a dogbone to see if it helps out because vw dealers are just wasting my time

Don't get a front sway bar without getting a rear sway bar or the understeer will be even worse than stock. And I don't think a sway bar is the issue anyway. Do get just a rear sway bar to correct the understeer but it won't help with the creaking.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
I second the silicone on the LCA bushings tip. Put it up on ramps and really give all 4 a good soaking. I do this every couple months since I noticed the noise and it hasn't come back, except for one time I went too long without doing it and started to hear it again.

NineInchNail

Car(s)
2017 mk7 gti
Don't get a front sway bar without getting a rear sway bar or the understeer will be even worse than stock. And I don't think a sway bar is the issue anyway. Do get just a rear sway bar to correct the understeer but it won't help with the creaking.
Thank you

NineInchNail

Car(s)
2017 mk7 gti
If this fixed the issue, even temporarily, then it's not an issue with your subframe. Something like a dogbone won't change anything. Could try new bushings or new control arms. Or depending on how long the fix lasted, just spray your bushings every so often. I had the creaking issue and it hasn't come back after 6 months after lubricating the bushings.
Thank you