GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking noise coming from front left shock strut

Nuno1

Anyone else ever have this problem? Seems to creak badly when you take your foot off the accelerator and engine brake but creaking diseappears when accelerating, I think it’s a strut mount/bearing but at just over 100k kilometres does this seem likely? Any advice is much appreciated before I go pulling a strut ?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Are you sure it's the strut? The front suspension wishbone bushes are known to creak really really badly any time the suspension moves up and down. VW do not acknowledge this to be a fault.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Nuno1

It sounds very like it’s coming from the upper portion of the strut, that being said I haven’t had a way to get in close and listen with the wheel off as it doesn’t creak when jacked up, I did try and spray a small bit of wd40 on the wishbone bushings to see if that would fix it with no luck ? do you think loosening off the wishbone bolts and re torquing them may solve the problem? Thanks.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The only thing that seems to solve it is to disconnect the wishbones and white grease the joints, you can't get the grease in to the right places without doing this. This will work for about six months or so...

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

sherbet

Ready to race!
LOL. I literally came here to search for this exact issue, what are the chances it’s literally the first thread I saw when the page loaded. So I’ve been having this issue for a few months now. My car has 20k miles on it and it’s definitely become more prominent over the past few weeks. It sounds almost like a strut mount, perhaps uppers? Mine occurs mostly going into driveways when my wheels are turned slightly, and over speed bumps. My car is still under warranty so the plan was to see if i can’t complain and get it covered before my IS20 goes in the car and takes my warranty with it.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It's the wishbone bushes. VW do not acknowledge it as a fault, you may be lucky if you are VERY persistent that they will replace the bushes for you or at the very least they will re-grease them (which works temporarily).
Fundamentally all VAG cars have creaky front wishbone bushes.

Nuno1

I took out the bolt on the lower wishbone that goes through the bushing closest to the front of the car and greased it up really well with some multipurpose grease and also got a small paint brush to grease down inside the bore of the bushing and tried to get some in around the sides of the bush and still have the squeaking noise, my problem sounds the exact same as yours sherbet! Slight turning of the front wheels to the right aggravates the noise however turning to the left doesn’t seem to cause it, I used the hollow pipe handle of a brush and put my ear to the end of it to try and isolate the sound and it seems to be quite loud coming from the top mount area but it’s hard to tell exactly, I might try and remove the coil spring and inspect and try abit of grease on the coil spring mating surfaces and see if that helps, il post results here when I get around to it, hoping it’s not a top strut mount as it’s only coming up on 65k miles now but seeing as your having the same problem as me with far lower miles it gives me hope [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunter

Passed Driver's Ed
Günter is currently being seen for this they're lubricating it also. 2nd time 1st time was back in November. May consider replacing them

DasTurboWagen

Ready to race!
My best solution has been silicone spray. I get under the car and spray the crap out of the front control arm bushings. Usually eliminates it for 6 months or so and no disassembling anything required.

My driveway entrance is about an inch above the street and I'm on a hill so I definitely hear it every day unless I treat it with the silicone spray. This has been since new and is worse in the cold of course.

hoosier1661

Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 1.8T
Old post but I had this same issue - mine was after putting on a new suspension. It squeaked over bumps at low speeds and when turning the steering wheel. Sounded like it was coming from the strut mount bushings but went away completely after having an alignment.

wvw89

Sounds like the lower control arm bushings. They are crap in this car and tend to crack, brought my car into dealership for what sounds like the same problem as you (mostly uneven surfaces like entering a parking lot) they swapped in new control arms under warranty. Those worked great for about 1.5 year and then the noise came back. I'm going to be going after market this time...either BFI'S solid rubber bushings into existing control arms or a full swap with superpros kit (get a degree of caster and up to 1.5 of camber out of those as a bonus)