GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
I think i will go with the 105 oil and see.
The grease is hard to get hold of in the UK.
I will post results but it is going to be 3 weeks or so yet as i have other jobs planned first.

Last edited:

pwomble

Passed Driver's Ed
I did Krytox to the inside of the seals on all 4 doors this week. What a difference!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Well I just found that the Honda ShinEtsu silicone grease works great. I forgot I bought this stuff a while ago and it fell behind the table in my garage.

Just tried it on our 6 month old Alltrack that never had any seal treatments of any kind and had started creaking even more than it had as the weather cooled down here.

I used a rubber glove to go along the felts to clean any fuzz off then I did a quick 99% IPA wipe of the felt and rubber to rubber surfaces along the top inside seal of the door and around where the window rolls up to get them clean.

Applied a bit of this stuff using the glove to the rubber to rubber surfaces and with a q-tip and my pinky up the sides of the window track on the drive door. Backed out of my driveway which makes my chassis flex nicely and not a sound from that door. I heard all of the other doors though!

Did the rest and took a spin, never knew an MK7 could be so quiet. Can’t wait to get my GTI back from the dealer due to getting a new head so I can apply it there.

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
On the rubber to rubber area only. But not on the felt areas. Correct?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
On the rubber to rubber area only. But not on the felt areas. Correct?
Yes and no. For me the creaking was definitely the window itself when closed. I could easily hear it when I pushed on the window even a little bit.

I realized the window tracks themselves have felt up in there and I rubbed this stuff thoroughly into those track areas. Up the sides and along the tops of where the windows tuck when rolled up all the way. I also did the rubber inside the flaps.
I didn’t do the main large exposed felt areas, though I’m sure a bit got on those areas as I was working.

My wife’s alltrack was LOUD. Easily the worst of the four MK7s we have owned. When I test drove last night, it was SILENT.

I’m going to work some into the trunk seal for good measure. This stuff is supposed to be great for seals. May even hit our MK1 to rejuvenate them there, I’ve got a ton of the stuff haha.

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
RTB, thanks for that. I’ll try to get some of that Honda stuff.
Not having much luck with Gummiplege. It seems to work for a few days then the creaking comes back.

Leopold1
Well I just found that the Honda ShinEtsu silicone grease works great. I forgot I bought this stuff a while ago and it fell behind the table in my garage.

Just tried it on our 6 month old Alltrack that never had any seal treatments of any kind and had started creaking even more than it had as the weather cooled down here.

I used a rubber glove to go along the felts to clean any fuzz off then I did a quick 99% IPA wipe of the felt and rubber to rubber surfaces along the top inside seal of the door and around where the window rolls up to get them clean.

Applied a bit of this stuff using the glove to the rubber to rubber surfaces and with a q-tip and my pinky up the sides of the window track on the drive door. Backed out of my driveway which makes my chassis flex nicely and not a sound from that door. I heard all of the other doors though!

Did the rest and took a spin, never knew an MK7 could be so quiet. Can’t wait to get my GTI back from the dealer due to getting a new head so I can apply it there.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
RTB, thanks for that. I’ll try to get some of that Honda stuff.
Not having much luck with Gummiplege. It seems to work for a few days then the creaking comes back.

Leopold1
Krytox GPL-205 may be easier to find

das_gtd

I used 1/4 inch rubber tubing on all four doors and all creaks are gone for good! Highly recommended for everyone who is frustrated and desperate like I was. :D

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I used 1/4 inch rubber tubing on all four doors and all creaks are gone for good! Highly recommended for everyone who is frustrated and desperate like I was. :D

They’ll be back. That was one of the oldest solutions and one that I have used and failed with, twice.

Krytox or the Shin-Etsu or SailKote are the way.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Once again, dry lube on the felt atop the doors. And wet lube inside the door top flaps.