GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

nype

Drag Racing Champion
A lot of people are using Gummi Pflege. Is that only intended for the rubber as well? I'm sure I watched a video of someone applying it to the felt of his GTI. Would WD-40 Dry Lube be a good choice for the felt? It is easier to find locally and very inexpensive.
A lot of people 'tried' Gummi Pflege... I wouldn't bother with it. But if you do, I wouldn't use it on the felt. And ya I think the WD-40 dry lube would work fine.

When I fixed the creaking, since I did both wet lube and dry lube at the same time, I wasn't sure which did the trick. If I were to do it over again, I would try a dry lube on the felt first...and go from there. I may not have needed to do both.

I haven't had to reapply once since the issue was resolved.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here's what I used. Works great.

20200505_130158.jpg
20200505_140150.jpg

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
A lot of people 'tried' Gummi Pflege... I wouldn't bother with it. But if you do, I wouldn't use it on the felt. And ya I think the WD-40 dry lube would work fine.

When I fixed the creaking, since I did both wet lube and dry lube at the same time, I wasn't sure which did the trick. If I were to do it over again, I would try a dry lube on the felt first...and go from there. I may not have needed to do both.

I haven't had to reapply once since the issue was resolved.

Hmm okay. What did you use for your dry lube? I found the Honda dealer just across the street from my apartment complex has the grease linked last page in stock.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
I've got some Krytox to hopefully shut mine up.
s-l1600.jpg

The 105 is a thin oil rather than a grease like the 205. So hopefully should be okay on the felt like areas too. The manufacturer seems to recommend it for pretty much everything, leather, plastic, elastomers, rubber, etc.

I'll try it on a small area and see.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I would think that if you put that stuff on the felt, that it will get all over the inside of the door 'frame'. Maybe test inside the rubber flap first... My $0.02

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
This is sucks, I tried wiping off all the rubber seals because there was soap residue on them from car washes (thinking it may help) and now the creaking is 10x as bad. I just ordered the Honda Grease from Amazon.

Last edited:

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

This is sucks, I tried wiping off all the rubber seals because there was soap residue on them from car washes (thinking it may help) and now the creaking is 10x as bad. I just ordered the Honda Grease from Amazon.

Well I tried this on all the rubber seals I could find on the driver side of the car and the sunroof and it didn't work. I guess I need to try inside the flap on top of the door frames next and if that fails dry lube the felt. I found a TSB for the sunroof so will show that to my local dealer. The creaks seemed to start when the weather warmed up to about 60 with very low humidity. I didn't hear anything all winter. The most annoying of the creaks (besides the sunroof) is one that sounds like it's coming from the rear driver side door when I make a slow sharp left turn on an uneven surface.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Well I tried this on all the rubber seals I could find on the driver side of the car and the sunroof and it didn't work. I guess I need to try inside the flap on top of the door frames next and if that fails dry lube the felt. I found a TSB for the sunroof so will show that to my local dealer. The creaks seemed to start when the weather warmed up to about 60 with very low humidity. I didn't hear anything all winter. The most annoying of the creaks (besides the sunroof) is one that sounds like it's coming from the rear driver side door when I make a slow sharp left turn on an uneven surface.
Broken record over here...

Does it still creak if the windows are cracked a tiny bit? If so, wet lube inside the flap, since that’s what you have. Failing that, dry lube on the felt.

If the TSB involves them greasing various areas, think twice. They put so much of it inside the sunroof track when I was first troubleshooting this, that water lifted out the excess and I had this greasy foggy film on the roof, all around the sunroof.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Broken record over here...

Does it still creak if the windows are cracked a tiny bit? If so, wet lube inside the flap, since that’s what you have. Failing that, dry lube on the felt.

If the TSB involves them greasing various areas, think twice. They put so much of it inside the sunroof track when I was first troubleshooting this, that water lifted out the excess and I had this greasy foggy film on the roof, all around the sunroof.

No I actually tested with the windows half way down and it still does it. The sunroof TSB describes them applying tape along the seals. It seems like something one could probably do quite easily on our own.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163546-0001.pdf

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

Not sure if you saw my post From a while ago in this thread but my creaking was, at least in large part, coming from the weather seal where my window glass meets rubber. Not the top seal on the door or the inner seal on the body of the car. I inserted a rubber tube in that flap on that seal, rather than lube, and it helped a ton. I just got some of the Honda grease and I’m gonna try that too.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Not sure if you saw my post From a while ago in this thread but my creaking was, at least in large part, coming from the weather seal where my window glass meets rubber. Not the top seal on the door or the inner seal on the body of the car. I inserted a rubber tube in that flap on that seal, rather than lube, and it helped a ton. I just got some of the Honda grease and I’m gonna try that too.

Yes I saw it but if I try to replicate the sound with the windows cracked it sounds the same.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just ordered the Sailkote off Amazon - not cheap but why not. Want to try lubing the felt. Great thread BTW and why forums are still relevant!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Dry Lube the Felt.
Dry Lube the Felt.
Get Sailkote.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid