GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

JohnV1

Ready to race!
Cheers for the top tip Rob, Gummi Pfledge worked a treat this weekend. Easy to apply as it's already got an integral foam applicator. At just a tenner for 2 bottles which'll last years, it was a cheap and easy fix for an irritating problem. Much obliged :)

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Most welcome John - always happy to pass on a tip, the same way I received it.

As you say an excellent product - in fact I can highly recommend all of Einszett's range, especially their screenwash concentrates and bug remover spray both of which I use regularly.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Very common on MK6's.

I didn't have luck with Gummi Pfledge personally.
I actually got more more creaking sounds after I used it!
I kid you not, as I reapplied it late this summer.

What worked for me was Dielectric Grease.
I read about it on Corvette forums.
It's greasy stuff, like a silicone grease - but it worked very well for me.

Last edited:

marvin1

Ready to race!
Very common on MK6's.

You need to stop the doors moving around when shut! This may be more problematic with larger, heavier two doors.
Only by packing out those seals around the top of the windows, will your creaking be reduced. No amount of grease will stop this, to be honest.

JohnV1

Ready to race!
Very common on MK6's.

I spread Gummi Pfledge quite liberally in between the 2 seals AND on the top the seals. It's got quite a pleasant smell to it and worked very well on my Mk7, there's not even the tiniest peep from the doors.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I've used Gummi Pfledge for years, can't fault it on all sorts of rubber/silicon products.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'm glad that both John5 and DW58 got great results with Gummi Pledge.
I find it hard to believe that it didn't wok for me, and I would doubt myself were it no for the very direct cause and effect after my last application.
I got mine from Amazon, perhaps the version sold in the US differs from the European version?

The Dielecrtic Grease was highly praised on whatever Corvette forum that I had found it under.
Those guys were complaining about rattling T-tops.
I would imagine that those older Corvettes flexed a lot.

In any event, it's nice to see that two solutiions have been found.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Isn't there a danger of grease degrading the rubber? Presumably you haven't tried in on a Mk7 assuming that you're Stateside?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Isn't there a danger of grease degrading the rubber? Presumably you haven't tried in on a Mk7 assuming that you're Stateside?

I read both positive and negatives on the subject.
Like just about any search you do on the internet, there are prett ardent suppporters and opponents for both sides.
I sided with the supporters.
It's been nearly three years (no degradation at all - if anything, the seals ook fantastic) so you'll have to forgive me if I forget exactly what I read in support of this stuff.
But, suffice it to say that it had been used extensively and over years by these guys.
In the electrical applications as well, they said how the very purpose of this stuff was to keep thing in good condition etc.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like it works then, presumably no petroleum products in the mix then.

Yimma996tt

I've been chasing a creaky passenger door and trying all the fixes I read on the forum without having any luck. Finally I tried tightening the nut under the door and it didn't work. Feeling I overtightened it, I loosened it to its starting position plus 1-1/2 to to turns out. Amazingly it worked to get rid of the noise!! Couldn't believe it

roy2535

Passed Driver's Ed
I think Roger2050 from VWVortex has described the exact same problem as the one posted here.

He used an alternative method to the one suggested here. He inserted a vinyl tubing between the seals

Browse through his build thread and find post #799.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I've since found a product that works far better and longer than anything else I've tried:

SailKote

It's a dry lubricant spray geared for marine applications.
You spray it on the felt portion of the weather stripping.
I've had exceptional results using it. :cool:

mlewando

Ready to race!
Hello guys,

My Golf is suffering from creaking doors almost since the beginning.
I bought special lubricant, which is kind of petrolatum, before I used silicon spray. It helps, but for some limited time (e.g. 2 weeks) and there - after rain or cleaning the car - problem returns.

I applied the lubricant only on the smooth side (outer) of seal, but I saw you guys saying to apply it also on the inner side? Did it help?