GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crazy differences in 0w20 and 5w40 I’ve noticed post 24fx ecu update

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
IIRC, EQT has lowered the coolant target of their tune, which resulted in lower operating oil temps. One thing I've noticed is a slightly longer time to get oil to operating temperature.

Pure conjecture, but my guess would be the updated tune potentially increased the coolant target to speed up cold start to get to operating temps faster and the 0w-40 isn't as happy with that.
He doesn't have an EQT tune.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
IIRC, EQT has lowered the coolant target of their tune, which resulted in lower operating oil temps. One thing I've noticed is a slightly longer time to get oil to operating temperature.

Pure conjecture, but my guess would be the updated tune potentially increased the coolant target to speed up cold start to get to operating temps faster and the 0w-40 isn't as happy with that.
Good guess, too bad there’s no change log for the 24fx

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
He doesn't have an EQT tune.
You clearly missed my point. Would it help you get past the 2nd word, if I removed EQT and instead wrote "tuning companies" or will you still get stuck on he's not tuned then?

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
You clearly missed my point. Would it help you get past the 2nd word, if I removed EQT and instead wrote "tuning companies" or will you still get stuck on he's not tuned then?
The changes re: coolant temps have nothing to do with EQT themselves, it was an update to tables from Cobb. Any tuner/platform with access to the same tables would be able to achieve the same improvement. Pretty sure UM has had them for some time now.

Point is this post is silly, unless the cars have identical ECUs, plugs, mileage, etc. 5w40 is plenty viscous at normal driving temps, and is totally fine for cold weather too unless you live in the truly cold north.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
jim wasnt trying to be a dick, i am sure he didnt realize the possibility of the targets being moved some and it carrying over to other 3rd party tunes in their base files.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The changes re: coolant temps have nothing to do with EQT themselves, it was an update to tables from Cobb. Any tuner/platform with access to the same tables would be able to achieve the same improvement. Pretty sure UM has had them for some time now.

Point is this post is silly, unless the cars have identical ECUs, plugs, mileage, etc. 5w40 is plenty viscous at normal driving temps, and is totally fine for cold weather too unless you live in the truly cold north.
i dont think its silly due to the complete opposite being true. the car with the crappier oil is tuned but oil temps are lower. and its only 2k miles less than the car with the 5w40. the car with the 5w40 is mechanically the same and had lower oil temps before the update then higher after the update.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
For normal street driving that sounds expected, the tuned car likely has lower coolant targets to mitigate the sort of driving expected from it.

How are you measuring temps anyway? The in-car gauges are completely made up numbers that seem to be fairly loosely related to actual temps.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
For normal street driving that sounds expected, the tuned car likely has lower coolant targets to mitigate the sort of driving expected from it.

How are you measuring temps anyway? The in-car gauges are completely made up numbers that seem to be fairly loosely related to actual temps.
Good question. Going off of the in car gauges. Iirc it’s a bullshit number that’s a result of some weird formula dragged from other temps

I can start logging a more precise parameter if you know the name of the parameter I should be looking at

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
jim wasnt trying to be a dick, i am sure he didnt realize the possibility of the targets being moved some and it carrying over to other 3rd party tunes in their base files.
Which was the sole reason I brought up EQT. I know for a fact they've altered these in their tunes and I've seen significant drops in my operational oil temps from daily driving to track events due to these changes.

Unfortunately, and a common theme on the internet in general, is people are so eager to find errors posted by other people, they ignore the rest of what's posted when they think they've found one. I think we all succumb to this to some degree. I agree I don't think jim was trying to be a dick, but annoyingly in this case he couldn't get past the 2nd word in my post before he had to try to point out how I was wrong.

I think I made it pretty clear my conjecture has nothing to do with EQT, but a possible change in coolant targets for shorter cold starts (my guess is for the potential lower emissions). But, we're getting too off topic. Carry on.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Which was the sole reason I brought up EQT. I know for a fact they've altered these in their tunes and I've seen significant drops in my operational oil temps from daily driving to track events due to these changes.

Unfortunately, and a common theme on the internet in general, is people are so eager to find errors posted by other people, they ignore the rest of what's posted when they think they've found one. I think we all succumb to this to some degree. I agree I don't think jim was trying to be a dick, but annoyingly in this case he couldn't get past the 2nd word in my post before he had to try to point out how I was wrong.

I think I made it pretty clear my conjecture has nothing to do with EQT, but a possible change in coolant targets for shorter cold starts (my guess is for the potential lower emissions). But, we're getting too off topic. Carry on.
I also had no idea eqt did that. I read that apr redid their tunes after measuring cylinder pressures and cylinder temps or some such. I also read as soon as apr did that just about every other tuner followed suit. I've no idea if any of that is true. I also can't recall what prompted apr to measure cylinder pressures and temps.

Is that scenario what you're describing

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Just a random FYI: I reached out to APR to ask them and they strongly suggested to stay with 0w20. That's what they are running on their tuned 19+ cars.
When I inquired about their base being upgraded to s0007 post 24fx dude told me “make sure you’re on the 0w20!!!!!” Like dude sounded super serious about it

interesting thing to note. Apr is practically demanding you’re on 0w20 while eqt seems to be ok with u on 5w40