GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crank walk on Golf R?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Tjena Roffe

Just to confuse even more, dsg cars can have crankwalk to and of the ones I have seen the common issue was flywheel imbalance on newer DQ381.

Cupras has had every revision of parts the same as R/S3.
source on dq381 cars experiencing crank walk?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
source on dq381 cars experiencing crank walk?
You would have noticed by now, first hand information from VW service manager. The imbalance was a small batch material defects and probably sourced and dealt with by now. Think they also was only on gen 3b 190ps models.

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
You would have noticed by now, first hand information from VW service manager. The imbalance was a small batch material defects and probably sourced and dealt with by now. Think they also was only on gen 3b 190ps models.
This reminds me, there is a common belief that a Fluidampr installation may prevent crankwalk. I'm not so sure on that, but it definitely won't hurt.

Hey @RolfG, if I find that Swedish guy that installed lower thrust washers and link him to you, maybe you can get the same work done. You, or a shop, will have to drop the gearbox anyway to replace the clutch, it's not much more work from there to pull the main cap and get it machined. If you really want a manual, I think that's the sensible thing to do in order to tune carefree.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
This reminds me, there is a common belief that a Fluidampr installation may prevent crankwalk. I'm not so sure on that, but it definitely won't hurt.

Hey @RolfG, if I find that Swedish guy that installed lower thrust washers and link him to you, maybe you can get the same work done. You, or a shop, will have to drop the gearbox anyway to replace the clutch, it's not much more work from there to pull the main cap and get it machined. If you really want a manual, I think that's the sensible thing to do in order to tune carefree.
Remember that MK6 guy to if thats the one you are thinking of, think PPF was was the company that did the work.
http://server.pure-pf.com/webshop2/se/

RolfG

Car(s)
golf r
Remember that MK6 guy to if thats the one you are thinking of, think PPF was was the company that did the work.
http://server.pure-pf.com/webshop2/se/
Tjenare Crille. RolfG ~ GolfR

Thanks, will look into that. I still think it's weird that I haven't heard any talk about this issue on Cupras. Most hatch Cupras are manual here in Swedenstan.
Do we know when they changed to N washers for the Golf R/Cupra?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
ah. would have been tiguan if anything, not sure if we even got that engine code (dkza?).

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Tjenare Crille. RolfG ~ GolfR

Thanks, will look into that. I still think it's weird that I haven't heard any talk about this issue on Cupras. Most hatch Cupras are manual here in Swedenstan.
Do we know when they changed to N washers for the Golf R/Cupra?
Dec 2017.
It's still not a common issue. Like a coconut falling on your head. But also like getting booped by a coconut, it really sucks when it happens to you, and then you wish you made better choices.

RolfG

Car(s)
golf r
Dec 2017.
It's still not a common issue. Like a coconut falling on your head. But also like getting booped by a coconut, it really sucks when it happens to you, and then you wish you made better choices.
Well if I'm in Bahamas, it's pretty likely to happen.

So a Cupra 290 from 2016 have the F washers?
Where can I read more about the exact models etc.

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Well if I'm in Bahamas, it's pretty likely to happen.

So a Cupra 290 from 2016 have the F washers?
Where can I read more about the exact models etc.
Rather the Bahamas than Florida.

Google ETKA and select the link by 7zap for a parts catalogue for VW group products, or phone a rural Seat dealer's parts department. Tell them you have a Cupra with a sample VIN and you need a thrust washer. They will offer you the N revision. Ask them when that revision became effective and if the prior revision is available.

Last edited:

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
This is now a coconut forum, glad I could help!

RolfG

Car(s)
golf r
Rather the Bahamas than Florida.

Google ETKA and select the link by 7zap for a parts catalogue for VW group products, or phone a rural Seat dealer's parts department. Tell them you have a Cupra with a sample VIN and you need a thrust washer. They will offer you the N revision. Ask them when that revision became effective and if the prior revision is available.
Great thanks.
I saw one table over att Cupra net mentioning that all some Cupra models including the 2016 version have the N. But it feels pretty unlikely that the Cupra got it before the R.

"DKZA, CJXC,CJXH, CJXG,DNUE, DNUC Cupra engine codes use WHT 000 033 N thrust bearings." The quote is from SuperV8
Screenshot_20230211_101420_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: