GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crank walk / class action (we need to get together)

Hunter1Lane

Finding out who to hold accountable for the crank walk issue is the purpose of this thread. It’s VWs fault of you ask me. Up grading clutches should no cause engine failure, this is a manufacturing issue. Until those who suffered having their dream cars totaled because of this bearing failure need to get together. Let me know who you are and I’ll do my best to start putting something together...

A7xogg

Passed Driver's Ed
Someone should start it, authough look at the mk6 and the timing chain tensioner issue. That lawsuit came out 2 years after the mk7 have been out. It may take some time

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Paul with ShopDAP just started a poll the other day on who has experienced crankwalk in the MQB FB Group. Might want to start by messaging the people who have voted yes, they experienced crankwalk.

Here's the link.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Early my15 builds seam to be the leading years, however, I've seen posts all the way up to my 17.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
For anyone not following along on the fb page, i've been tracking the numbers. With over 2k polled individuals in the group, here are the most recent numbers:
1580394251676.png

Hope this helps everyone better visualize the data trend. I've also extrapolated this against the last 4 years of sales to predict what this would look like if this was a recallable issue. By my estimates, it worked out to be ~4500 cars IF our poll is a snapshot of the general VW golf/MQB population.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
ive never heard of this issue.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
As someone said above, good luck. I read somewhere that issues like this tend to be strictly numbers. they wont do anything about it unless x% is above their (we need to do something) threshold. Unless someone in the group is a lawyer who will do it for free, its likely the case wouldn't get picked up. Also, any modified cars are going to get through out as they are "modified" so you will need all stock cars for the lawsuit. From 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020. This is also going to depend on when the car was broken with crankwalk. If its mostly 2015 cars and that was 5 years ago and its happening today, then even better luck with that. Who is going to represent a class action for cars that are breaking that have been made 5 years ago and are possibly out of warranty. Where are the stats, trying look up seems like a pita any links? How many GTI's were built since 2015?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Since 2015, ~275000 golfs, gtis, and golf rs have been sold in the US. Approximately 35-40% are manual. If we narrow it down to stock clutch CW failure, it's down to ~1300 cars IF this snapshot provides an accurate estimate.

Added my spreadsheet to google sheets and is now viewable: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nr5XPsTH3Cv91X5H7OfWtWfLK6JfNW9yulfAAiCyU-o/edit?usp=sharing
nice, little hard to read for someone who hasn't created it, so 1300/275000 = 0.0047% of all golf/gti/golf r have this problem. correct? seems like a hard battle to win when its 4/1000th % of all cars have this issue, am i wrong?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
VW barely took responsibility with timing tensioners on the mk6. That's a well known problem that affected far more people than mk7 crank walk.