GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crank walk / class action (we need to get together)

Redmustang351

Car(s)
GTI Mark7
Finding out who to hold accountable for the crank walk issue is the purpose of this thread. It’s VWs fault of you ask me. Up grading clutches should no cause engine failure, this is a manufacturing issue. Until those who suffered having their dream cars totaled because of this bearing failure need to get together. Let me know who you are and I’ll do my best to start putting something together...
I have a 16 and spun the thrust bearing which caused crank walk and destroyed engine. In process of replacing complete engine now, called VW America and they were not willing to do anything.

ArrgRer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 VW Golf R
Final update. I pulled the cam bridge off yesterday. Here's a pick of the head where it mates up:

1672541682059.png

Something very obvious is that one of the two oil feeds (upper right hole) is completely dry. The bridge has a common cavity that feeds both camshafts and one feed is close the exhaust and one is close to the intake. Not unsurprisingly, the intake feed is the dry one so the only oil feeding the intake side is limited cross flow from the exhaust side. I ran some welding wire up there, but didn't feel anything that could be loosened. I use compressed air to try to push back any blockage, but that didn't work either. Put it all back together and threw in towel.

Spent the rest of the day washing and detailing the car to trade in. I got what I thought was a good trade-in value for it and I did disclose that the engine has problems and could need a total rebuild. Their mechanic drove it and inspected it.

Conclusion on the bearing fix was successful, but too late to save whatever happened further up in the oil system. I, personally, would recommend adding that second thrust bearing if you're running a stronger than stock clutch. As for cutting the middle pan to get to it... that's a personal decision - I would do it again, but it's certainly not something you can go back from. Best to do it when the trans is off the car and do it right. Bottom line is that you have to do it before that bearing falls into the pan. Measure your crank deflection and keep a journal of it.

It was sad to see such a great car ruined by a $10.54 part and such a poor design to access the bearings. I'll miss it, but I have other fun cars so I'll move on.

Best of luck to you all.

Happy New Year!

radoroc

Ready to race!
I just had my engine replaced with a refreshed engine for mega $$$$$. I'm still very paranoid about this issue.

How is the extra bearing attached to the other? If they get loose then how will that help if they're not welded to the block?

It's a 17 R, it had 150k with dkm twin :(

It now has a SB stage 3 daily.

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
I just had my engine replaced with a refreshed engine for mega $$$$$. I'm still very paranoid about this issue.

How is the extra bearing attached to the other? If they get loose then how will that help if they're not welded to the block?

It's a 17 R, it had 150k with dkm twin :(

It now has a SB stage 3 daily.
At how many KM did you install the DKM twin clutch, and was is tuned?

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Is it possible that some of these were installed backwards starving the thrust washer of oil? Are those two grooves oil passages?

IMG_0234.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Wait, so when I get the clutch replaced, I can have this washer replaced and add a second one?