GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crackling/clunking type noise when decelerating and accelerating at low speeds

Danmatthewz

Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Golf R
I have a Reddit post wit the video. Sound is coming from within the Bonet somewhere, I’m not terribly experienced with cars so sorry for the lack of info.

2018 Mk7.5 Golf R 28,400 miles.

Whenever the engine oil temp has warmed up ( it doesn’t do it when it’s not warmed up), it makes a very faint crackling type noise coming from within the engine area when decelerating. And it also does it when accelerating in first gear at very low speed.

Link is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Golf_R/comments/zwfd4p
Please help a brother out. Hope you all had a happy Christmas and all the best for the new year.

Last edited:

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Wow, that's interesting to say the least. At first thought it would maybe be slightly loose brake pads (mine clunk in both front and back apparently) but they usually do it when the car is cold. After driving a bit I'm guessing the rotors and pads warm up and tighten up a bit. But yours is when warm. Is it always in two clicks like in the video? What about turning versus straight?

Danmatthewz

Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Golf R
It’s not the clicks at the end. It’s the first 8 seconds of the video. If you put your speaker of your phone to your ear you’ll hear it. It’s like a crackling/buzzing noise. Really confused to what it is. It’s coming from the engine area.

Danmatthewz

Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Golf R
Wow, that's interesting to say the least. At first thought it would maybe be slightly loose brake pads (mine clunk in both front and back apparently) but they usually do it when the car is cold. After driving a bit I'm guessing the rotors and pads warm up and tighten up a bit. But yours is when warm. Is it always in two clicks like in the video? What about turning versus straight?
I just posted another post on reddit. Might be easier to hear

https://www.reddit.com/r/Golf_R/comments/zwuha6

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Wow that's a weird one. My Mk1 did this but it was a little louder. Turns out the starter solenoid was starting to fail, which caused the starter gear (bendix?) to not fully retract after starting. This left the bendix gear of the starter slightly extended and it would make contact ever so often.