GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cracked brake fluid reservoir

DrTWAxeman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I'm dumb and left the brake fluid reservoir cap on when I compressed my brake pistons during a pad install. Now there's a slight crack in my reservoir that leaks when I get above 3 psi (well below the 30 psi needed for a brake fluid replacement). I've ordered a used reservoir but am having no luck finding a reservoir install guide. Any tips?

Elwood

3-7-77
High pressure notwithstanding, reservoirs tend to be sold as part of the master cylinder and they don't fail so I'm not surprised there aren't any DIY guides out there.

Get as much fluid out of the old one as you can. I don't know if you can get it off without braking the nipples off - that would be my only real concern. If you can, you should be good. Make sure your replacement unit has fluid on the outside of the nipples for lubrication and just push it back on. Make sure the holes in the MC are full to the top and the grommets are still in good shape, too. You may not have to bleed it, but maybe you should just for good measure.

DrTWAxeman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
High pressure notwithstanding, reservoirs tend to be sold as part of the master cylinder and they don't fail so I'm not surprised there aren't any DIY guides out there.

Get as much fluid out of the old one as you can. I don't know if you can get it off without braking the nipples off - that would be my only real concern. If you can, you should be good. Make sure your replacement unit has fluid on the outside of the nipples for lubrication and just push it back on. Make sure the holes in the MC are full to the top and the grommets are still in good shape, too. You may not have to bleed it, but maybe you should just for good measure.

damn, not sure i'm ready for this, but here goes nothing. thanks for your tips.