GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crack Found :(

elamothe15

Ready to race!
So I installed my version 1 034 Motorsport mount yesterday. Had a little more trouble with the install and it definitely took longer than I expected. The actual arm connected to the mount was offset from the bolt hole once it was removed. So after getting a helping hand underneath my car we were able to pull the arm and align it with the hole to get the bolt in.

Anyways, during this install I had a flashlight and was looking around on top of the mount and noticed a crack. :(

Looks like I'm going to have to take out the mount and bring it to VW. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. I will report back after I get my appointment and what the path forward is.

Mods are a APR Boost Gauge with boost tap, 034 V1 Dogbone Insert (for now), and neuspeed pflo intake. My car has ~15500 miles on it and have had no issues, I wouldn't have noticed anything about this crack if I didn't use a flashlight and look around underneath during the insert install.

Last edited:

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3

Booger_Davis

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like I'm going to have to take out the mount and bring it to VW. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. I will report back after I get my appointment and what the path forward is.

So you're going to remove the part and just hand it to the dealer for warranty coverage?

That could get interesting.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Sounds like the crack was found prior to/during install.

OP, it's super hard to tell what exact area your pic is showing. Do you have any more pics? I'm curious what suspension components are pushing and pulling against that area.

elamothe15

Ready to race!

idding aside:

Sorry to hear man. Might crawl under mine to give it a look.

Ever hit any memorable potholes? Or any issues with bent rims?

Nope nothing that I can recall.

So you're going to remove the part and just hand it to the dealer for warranty coverage?

That could get interesting.

I was under the car to install a dogbone insert and found the crack. I'm going to take out the aftermarket insert before bringing it the car to the dealer. I know I found the crack before I installed it, but the last thing I want is for them to blame the crack on the insert.

Booger_Davis

Passed Driver's Ed
Nope nothing that I can recall.

I was under the car to install a dogbone insert and found the crack. I'm going to take out the aftermarket insert before bringing it the car to the dealer. I know I found the crack before I installed it, but the last thing I want is for them to blame the crack on the insert.

Gotcha.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Maybe it cracked when that colossal blob of weld cooled down? That doesn't look like a particularly high stress area, and the evenness of the gap created by the separation is concerning.

I'm going to put mine on ramps tonight and see if I can compare.

I'm totally intrigued at this point.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
From the picture, it looks like a deep gouge from a rock or a tool that slipped (at least to me.) You probably got a better look at it that what the picture shows.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Sounds like the crack was found prior to/during install.

OP, it's super hard to tell what exact area your pic is showing. Do you have any more pics? I'm curious what suspension components are pushing and pulling against that area.

Yes, I found the crack prior to install. Honestly I should've never installed the insert since I'm going to have to bring it back.

Glad I was nosey and decided to poke around with a flash light to find that. Got an appt Thursday to get it looked it.

If you go where the dogbone mount is, it's on the opposite end. So it's the top part of the subframe where the dogbone mount is. That help clarify it?

elamothe15

Ready to race!
From the picture, it looks like a deep gouge from a rock or a tool that slipped (at least to me.) You probably got a better look at it that what the picture shows.

Yeah that could definitely be it. They're doing quite a bit of construction near me now, so a huge rock could've just hit it the wrong way

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Yeah, that does look like upward force from the bottom would have cause the split.

Any dings on the underside?

Beside that, I wouldn't suspect external force, due to the angle of it.

Sorry, didn't get under the car tonight to take a look. VWR springs are on their way (tomorrow, YAY!), so i'll snap a pic of mine, from the same angle, when I am already under there.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Yeah it's possible but unlikely. Since the crack is on the top end it means something would've had to get through one of the hole in the subframe and hit that with enough force which I don't really see that possible. Really don't know how this happened....unacceptable to have a subframe crack at 15k miles