GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CQuartz UK on New Golf R?

RobDMB

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently picked up my new VW Golf R in Onyx White. As its winter here in the northeast, I thought it may be a good idea to get a coat of wax/sealant/coating on the car for some protection. I reached out to a few local detailers and one indicated he installs CQuartz UK which would be $425 if no paint correction required (he would review car to finalize quote). A regular sealant would be cheaper.

Was wondering everyone's thoughts if this price is fair and best course of action. Not thrilled about paying $425, but I don't really have a setup where I can do washes/waxes in the winter. I could wait until the spring but then the car would be unprotected until then. Also, if it truly lasts 2 years maybe it is worth it.

Thanks!

Billy Baldone1

Ready to race!
I am a Pearl Nano installer. Base and Top coat, plus Windows, no paint correction is 550 for most cars, 700 for SUVs. Wheels off coated plus calipers is 200 extra. CQuartz UK is an Okish coating. Finest will cost you around 800-900. So I think 425 with a 1 step polish is a decent price

TroyScherer

Ready to race!

CQUK is good stuff and I have had it on my wife's Jetta for nearly 3 years. When treated properly and taken care of it really is good stuff.

If you go looking obviously you can buy the product for cheaper. But what you are paying for is a professional to do the proper prep and application and work. As a weekend detailer myself I see $450 as fair. If you have the time and tools you can do it but paying someone else will cost.

RobDMB

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. I'm inclined to go forward. Sounds like it will make my maintenance a lot easier over the next two years.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I am happy with my ceramic coating so far. Granted, mine was a bit more than Cquartz UK and I have not had it long. The choice of Cquartz over a sealant however is a no brainer for me. Overall, the general consensus of UK is good and people are happy with the bang for buck and gloss.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I had my windows tinted today and I asked the installer about ceramic paint protection. He said the two big names are Opti-Coat and Ceramic Pro.

The local vendor here (Denver) said he charges $1200 to do it, but he gives you up to 5 hours of polishing and paint prep. He said preparing the paint was by far the most important thing. He said they would polish, clay bar and then rub the entire car in alcohol prior to applying the ceramic paint protection.

There are cheap do it yourself kits out there. Chemical Brothers and CarPro have them. From my reading, sounds like the CarPro kit is a damn good deal and 50 bucks.

Anyone else have experience with these???

TroyScherer

Ready to race!

^ Opti-Coat Pro & Pro+ are really some of the top of the line stuff IMO. I applied the older version of Opti-Coat Pro back before they went to an authorized dealer network setup. Since I am just a weekender I don't meet all the criteria for them now. But I have the older version of Opti-Coat Pro that applied to my truck almost 4 years ago and it is still going strong.

I personally have not heard or seen any good long term review of any Chemical Guys coatings. Doesn't mean they aren't good but to me they are still unproven.

I have had both CarPro CQuartz & CQuartzUK on my wifes car. The CQuartz lasted 2.5 years before I polished it off and applied CQuartzUK. And after doing my decon and prep for polishing the coating looked like new again. I didn't really need to redo it but I wanted to. At this point CQuartzUK has been on for nearly 3 years. I am planning to polish and re-coat the car this spring. Both CQ products met / exceeded my expectations. I have no problem suggesting them as it is what I use and have had great results with. If you search my screen name on Autopia, Autogeek you will find many of my product reviews as well as long term testing of CarPro CQuartz.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
For do it yourself, look no further than CarPro. Opti-coat is really nice and easy, gloss is fantastic. But longevity is very questionable. I personally feel that if you're going to go as far as a paint correction, get a top shelf coating.

My ceramic pro was a spray application, and this allows them to really lay it on(6-7 microns or so). Cure time was 2 days due to the damp weather under infrared most of that cure time.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
For do it yourself, look no further than CarPro. Opti-coat is really nice and easy, gloss is fantastic. But longevity is very questionable. I personally feel that if you're going to go as far as a paint correction, get a top shelf coating.

My ceramic pro was a spray application, and this allows them to really lay it on(6-7 microns or so). Cure time was 2 days due to the damp weather under infrared most of that cure time.

Do you know if you can do more than one coat of the Carpro cQuartz??

Seems like if you could, it might be a really good product

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Do you know if you can do more than one coat of the Carpro cQuartz??

Seems like if you could, it might be a really good product
If applied within the recommended window of time, yes! Layers are certainly possible, and typically recommended. Be aware though that even the easier to use coatings are affected by atmospheric conditions. Humidity especially. Two coats of Cquartz seems to be the norm.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
So yesterday we go about an inch of snow in the morning. When I walked outside my vehicle had zero accumulation of snow or ice on it. Nothing wants to stay on the coated surfaces. So worth it.