GOLFMKV

CPO vs used

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I say a smartly researched CPO.

This.

My 2019 was CPO with 8k miles when I bought it. The longer warranty, plus 12k more miles on top, and the fact that it was still $1k cheaper than a new 2020 with only a 50k mile warranty is what did it for me. And it was the color I wanted.

But when they gave me the carfax I wanted to know why a car from Michigan with only 8k miles ended up at a dealership at all, let alone one in PA. They did some due diligence and VWoA was actually the first owner, it was an executive lease. I guess there would not have been much time for some schmuck to ravage the car, return it to stock, and for a dealership to falsely or incorrectly CPO it but knowing it actually spent less than 10 months chauffeuring someone back and forth to work instead was some peace of mind.

I'd also add that if you have the option, have people you trust in your corner. Two of my best friends are the finance manager and customer experience manager at the dealership I bought my car from, I insisted one of them handle everything. In reality, they were both involved. I know not everyone has that option but my girlfriends family all use the same buyer, have been for 15-20 years, and he's only ever gotten them solid cars that last forever.

Nothings foolproof but there are a lot of things you can do to mitigate the risk.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
CPO usually means nothing to me besides they would fix something under warranty if there is a fault of the manufacturer within the warranty period. I much prefer the 7 day free return policy and say a dealer provided full coverage 3month warranty.. well besides the manuf warranty if there is one left.

It's usually early on where you catch all the flaws.