GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CPO vs used

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
my "CPO", purchased from a VW dealer had been tuned with APR stage 1, pretty much all other bolt ons available in 2016, and oh, it was TOTALLED in a T-Bone accident(all airbags deployed). Previous owner got it all fixed under the table with no Carfax/etc. report. I found out about it cuz the idiot had a build thread on VWVortex and talked about EVERYTHING. I sent them and VWoA the links to the thread and made the dealer buy the car back and sell me a brand new one for the same price. Dealer said they were going to put the previous owner in jail. If you're on here, sorry about that, but you're a scumbag.

Thats scary. So how your dealer CPO this vehicle with a tune, arent they part of this problem as well?

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Thats scary. So how your dealer CPO this vehicle with a tune, arent they part of this problem as well?
Def on them, but some dude just walks around the car with a checklist and looks and stuff and checks it off. That's "CPO", adds another $5,000 to the purchase price. *rolls eyes*

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
my "CPO", purchased from a VW dealer had been tuned with APR stage 1, pretty much all other bolt ons available in 2016, and oh, it was TOTALLED in a T-Bone accident(all airbags deployed). Previous owner got it all fixed under the table with no Carfax/etc. report. I found out about it cuz the idiot had a build thread on VWVortex and talked about EVERYTHING. I sent them and VWoA the links to the thread and made the dealer buy the car back and sell me a brand new one for the same price. Dealer said they were going to put the previous owner in jail. If you're on here, sorry about that, but you're a scumbag.

shitty situation but the previous owner did not go to jail. Bet the dealer didn’t even sue him.

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
shitty situation but the previous owner did not go to jail. Bet the dealer didn’t even sue him.

Maybe, maybe not. If you're directly asked when trading/selling "has this car been in an accident" and you knowingly withold that information, you can be liable for damages. Probably a civil case and not worth much of anyone's time. The dealer would have grounds to sue but it also sounds like they couldn't be bothered to do their own due diligence so I doubt they did anything.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Maybe, maybe not. If you're directly asked when trading/selling "has this car been in an accident" and you knowingly withold that information, you can be liable for damages. Probably a civil case and not worth much of anyone's time. The dealer would have grounds to sue but it also sounds like they couldn't be bothered to do their own due diligence so I doubt they did anything.

I understand why you’d be liable depending on the language in sales contract. Dealer could get damages sure but you’re not going to jail in a civil case.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Well, most people in enthusiast communities who don’t keep their cars do this. Maybe minus the accident thing I guess? But people do all kinds of things like this on trade-ins it’s really not shocking.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Def on them, but some dude just walks around the car with a checklist and looks and stuff and checks it off. That's "CPO", adds another $5,000 to the purchase price. *rolls eyes*

Had they had an experienced guy look into the vehicle with a checklist for an hour, they wouldnt have gone through the hassle of replacing OP's vehicle.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I'm sure the dealer was just feigning anger to make them appear more sympathetic to my situation, and not go after THEM. But they prob lost quite a bit of money. They also gave me(I have no idea why) the guy's name, address, and stuff, which I would sincerely hope isn't legal. Original owner did an ethically dubious thing, but I can't say for certain I wouldn't do the same thing he did if I bought a $34,000 car and totaled it within a year.

In retrospect, I should have told them I wasn't leaving without a new Golf R for the same price. Oh well.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Had they had an experienced guy look into the vehicle with a checklist for an hour, they wouldnt have gone through the hassle of replacing OP's vehicle.

If you think about how many cpo vehicles a high volume dealer probably sells in a year you can see why they aren’t going to do that. Dealers want more cars under warranty. It means you’re going to bring it back to them for repairs and vw is going to pay for them. Stories like this happen but they aren’t that common and in the end the dealer just auctioned that car off anyway, it wasn’t a total loss. Would cost them more to pay an experienced tech an hour per cpo car they sell. The couple thousand this cost them is just a line item on a spread sheet at the end of the day.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’m more concerned with them doxxing a previous client in hopes someone will exact their revenge for them. They were definitely mad about losing their own money and not you getting inconvenienced.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I’m more concerned with them doxxing a previous client in hopes someone will exact their revenge for them. They were definitely mad about losing their own money and not you getting inconvenienced.
I literally asked them why they were showing me his info and said I don't think that's legal

cb1111

Dealers will certify a ham sandwich if they think it'll bring them more money on sale. Before I bought my A6 Avant, I was looking at sedans. The dealer had a nice A6 CPO on the showroom. It was that odd cream color that they had in the early 2000's and I somehow found that attractive. I went there one night intending to buy it and saw some awful orange peel on the C pillar and the back fender. The panel gaps were off and you could actually see where they had taped off the roof.

The salesman who had been sitting next to it for a couple of months feigned ignorance, but the guy I was dealing with said "yeah, I know. We were hoping you wouldn't notice"

So while the druggie lot kid is filling out the CPO form and might miss a tune, they would certainly notice 99% of the visual mods - but don't care.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If you think about how many cpo vehicles a high volume dealer probably sells in a year you can see why they aren’t going to do that. Dealers want more cars under warranty. It means you’re going to bring it back to them for repairs and vw is going to pay for them. Stories like this happen but they aren’t that common and in the end the dealer just auctioned that car off anyway, it wasn’t a total loss. Would cost them more to pay an experienced tech an hour per cpo car they sell. The couple thousand this cost them is just a line item on a spread sheet at the end of the day.

I get your point. Dealers mark up their CPO vehicles and earn atleast 2 or 3k more than non CPO ones. Even considering $150 per hour, they are going to avoid these headaches.

Also its not about that particular vehicle. Bad reputation about that dealership spreads quick and i am sure OP would have shared his experience to his friends and family. I dont think any of those people would step into that dealership to purchase a vehicle or even for a basic oil change. Say in a smaller town, its going to hurt a dealership big time.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I get your point. Dealers mark up their CPO vehicles and earn atleast 2 or 3k more than non CPO ones. Even considering $150 per hour, they are going to avoid these headaches.

Also its not about that particular vehicle. Bad reputation about that dealership spreads quick and i am sure OP would have shared his experience to his friends and family. I dont think any of those people would step into that dealership to purchase a vehicle or even for a basic oil change. Say in a smaller town, its going to hurt a dealership big time.

ive purchased a lot of cars and (I know there are exceptions) most dealers just don’t give a flying f.

you can read horror stories on review sites about plenty of dealers and they just keep on keepin on year after year. Outside of communities like this, cars are just appliances to the vast majority of people. It’s like going to Best Buy for a fridge.