GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COTA Races - post them here

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Edit : Changed title of thread so anyone can post races happening at COTA

Just seeing if anyone is going.

Was going to do the Corral where you get to do a parade lap, but read there was a speed restriction so not worth it.

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/lslm/tickets

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Saw a lot of GTI's, Golf R and a few Golfs out there.

Was an awesome race and strongly recommend to anyone if they do it next year. Heard with Sebring on the schedule, they might not do COTA again. Nothing official though.

Not a high attendance, so you could basically watch from any turn you wanted. Most people stayed in the the Grandstands or turn 1.

I found turn 11 to be the best as the cars were coming out of the S turns, down a short straight that's downhill, slowing down for a tight left hander. Lots of passing and it was cool seeing the brakes glowing bright red.

Here's some quick videos.

The Porsches, especially the factory cars were crazy loud. In comparison, the Astons and the Ferraris were pretty quiet.

The Toyotas had brutal acceleration. Even though the Rebellion car won, the Toyotas accelerated much harder.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It's weird, I talked to my dad last night and he asked if I'd gone, first I'd even heard about it. I don't recall seeing an ad, email or billboard for it. I'd have gone if I'd known about it. I get a weekly email about Moto GP, there are billboards everywhere for it and I've already got tickets. But this one just wasn't promoted by COTA or Austin at all.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
So true. I get the Moto GP emails all the time. I don't think I even got an email for the Le Mans. I think it popped up on my recommended on Google pages or something. I did see 1 or 2 billboards with it though, but they were the cheap billboards that are a little out of the way and smaller, I think on 290. Nothing on I35 or Mopac (are there even billboards on Mopac?)

I wonder what the attendance for the moto GP is going to be compared to the 22k for Le Mans

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'd hope it's better. F1 seemed like a better turnout this year than the first year, the only other time I've been out for that.

Surely the free parking for motorcycles will attract a few folks? Tickets are certainly cheaper than F1, although I'm less inclined to go for anything but the actual race.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Got to see the FCP Euro Gti's. Note on the windshield says replace rear brake pads, so I guess they do use the rear brakes. They should send the old ones back for a refund ?

Also, some Bentley sounds to tickle your ears (or maybe blow out your eardrums)
Edit : Recording doesn't do it justice at all

Attachments

• 20200308_132745.jpg
    20200308_132745.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I think both my wife and mom would be terrified of the potential of more speed. They would never believe that there's a 20mph limit. Would keep expecting us to suddenly floor it

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Anyone going to autocross at COTA next week.
It'll be my first event. No idea what I'm doing, but just going to have fun.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
F1 seats have gone live. I think I might grab bleacher seats in turn 18, we had GA tickets last time and hung out around 18 as it was less crowded than turn 1 and had a little better views.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Good luck. Tickets are almost sold out when I went in this morning. Snagged a seat in turn 12. Should've done general admission, but I think it's going to be crazy crowded. For lemans or moto gp race that isn't very popular, I would, but not F1

I found that turn 9, 12,15 were the best. I can't imagine paying the premium for grandstand seats