GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cost to upgrade turbo

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
What one needs to be reminded too, it's not the size of turbo, but rather it's usage.

Case and point MK8 R, it seems to have the magic you are looking for in the mid range where the IS38 lacks, while maintaining the top end. If you can, wait a bit to see what people come back with once it's in more people's hands and maybe there are more clues. How much is it the new Conti turbo, and how much is the revisions to the engine on the exhaust side, to allow for the spool (I thought I read somewhere)

As mentioned there is the EQT Vortex, where I believe purple is IS38 (assuming 91 octane), green is EQT Vortex (91 octane) and blue is EQT Vortex (E30)

If you needed to do a quick read, that 416 ft-lbs @ 3150 RPM for the stock IS38 is the best one can do to get the lower end torque you are looking for to make things more responsive. Reviewing the graphs, it makes it more easier to decipher as a value of torque and an unequal value of RPM might be hard to visualize quickly. Maybe do some additional research on the IS20 hybrid, which will likely get what you are looking for, but you need to figure out how to get a IS38 baseline against other turbos on the market (have fun!)

Beware though, the bottom end has given other people issues with the 6MT, where the they have experienced thrust bearing failures. I feel like the more torque you put down low, the faster you are going to experience the same issue and eventually kill the engine. I have to agree with you, for a car that you aren't interested in running on the 1/4 mile, having more usable power band is fun but more importantly forgiving of driver mistakes. I feel like maybe even a proper ECU tune would be helpful, and teaching yourself how to keep the turbo spinning when you are slowing down, along with being in the right gear.

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Thats their non-MPI Vortex (non-XL housing) dynos = IS38 91, Vortex 91 and Vortex E30 w/HPFP...

Peak Torque happens about 400 rpm later.....and in red you can see all the power that is lost at the bottom end of the powerband.

You cant have your cake and eat it too, but yes, there will be advances in turbo technology and it will get better and better, but this is the reality...

An IS20 would make even more power and earlier at the bottom end....

eqt_turbo_vs_is38_1024x1024.png

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
What one needs to be reminded too, it's not the size of turbo, but rather it's usage.

Re reading your post, I realize what you mean with the terminology... yes its not just "the size"...

Beware though, the bottom end has given other people issues with the 6MT, where the they have experienced thrust bearing failures. I feel like the more torque you put down low, the faster you are going to experience the same issue and eventually kill the engine. I have to agree with you, for a car that you aren't interested in running on the 1/4 mile, having more usable power band is fun but more importantly forgiving of driver mistakes. I feel like maybe even a proper ECU tune would be helpful, and teaching yourself how to keep the turbo spinning when you are slowing down, along with being in the right gear.

Very good point.... Not only that but he is going to fry his clutch anyways.. if you get your manual MK7 tuned, you have to downshift and do your part.... what the OP is asking, wider power band to shift less is just not something you should be doing with these cars, why bother with the manual then.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thats their non-MPI Vortex (non-XL housing) dynos = IS38 91, Vortex 91 and Vortex E30 w/HPFP...

Peak Torque happens about 400 rpm later.....and in red you can see all the power that is lost at the bottom end of the powerband.

You cant have your cake and eat it too, but yes, there will be advances in turbo technology and it will get better and better, but this is the reality...

An IS20 would make even more power and earlier at the bottom end....

View attachment 212466
Right but do you realize how quickly you'll be past 3000 RPM? In a blink and then lots more power compared to an IS20.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Please note im a GTI not an R. A lot depends on where you use your power. Do you find you need your power later or earlier? I personally don't drive much beyond 80mph and love the lower end torque of the IS20. Most of driving is in curvy mountain roads where I don't really go above 65mph and have to bring speeds down significantly for hairpin turns. Accelerating out of those turns is where most of my power is used.

A turbo upgrade would not be worth it for what I drive. I benefited much more jumping to E30 from 91oct. So take your driving style and location into concideration when purchasing upgrades like this.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Sell the car and get a dsg. Or enjoy blowing up clutches.