GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cost to replace roof panel/Carbon fiber roof panel

slrsoles

Car(s)
2015 MK7 Golf R
Hello,
Looking to replace current roof pannel with 5G6817111B . Was wondering if anyone could estimate costs or point me towards a carbon fiber roof panel. Thanks.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Premium Deutsche Carbon makes a carbon sunroof panel but not the whole roof. ($1300 before shipping)

If you could even find what you're looking for, I'd wager probably >$4k all-in. A-pillar, rear quarter panels, rear hatch jamb will have to be blended in, e.t.c. oh, and windshield will have to come out (~$1,000 if it breaks).

I was quoted $2500 for install/paint for front fenders, not including the fenders themselves, and thr roof is a much bigger job.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Might I ask, what is the goal here... reduce weight, delete a leaky sunroof?

https://premiumdeutschcarbon.com/product/mk7-7-5-sun-roof-glass-replacement-kit-level-2/
Don't know how this works really, I guess you remove the whole sunroof assembly and this goes in place? The site shows exactly zero pictures of the underside to see what that looks like for installing it. Then I suppose you get to look up at the pretty carbon unless you also replace the headliner.

@ChristopherNeil I will sell you my windshield if you're paying $1,000 for them 😁. I paid under $550 for a new windshield from the dealer, installed at the dealer (they contracted someone, so figure my cost included some type of services markup). A brand new heated windshield is only $450 MSRP, and most places have some type of discount on them... I see it for $324 here in Ventura.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Isn't the roof welded in? Best you could do with CF is a glue and some type of bracket to hold it in place. Not sure I'd trust that to not eventually leak.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
still trying to figure out what to do about those roof rack rivets... nice idea, but don't think this is the direction to go.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
@ChristopherNeil I will sell you my windshield if you're paying $1,000 for them 😁. I paid under $550 for a new windshield from the dealer, installed at the dealer (they contracted someone, so figure my cost included some type of services markup). A brand new heated windshield is only $450 MSRP, and most places have some type of discount on them... I see it for $324 here in Ventura.
The p/n for my glass with sensors is north of $600 msrp. I think my dealer knocks a bit off, though. I have zero deductible glass on my insurance and the final tab for them for the glass was ~$1000. The gel pad that holds the sensors is almost $100 by itself – kinda ridiculous if you ask me. They also covered replacing my tint, which was $250 additional.

I had a terrible experience with safelite, who literally put the wrong glass in my car, twice, somehow.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My glass also has the sensors. The only reason I replaced my windshield is because I was retrofitting camera and rain light sensor. Heated windshield I'm referencing also has the sensor/camera mount. Of course it could be installed without connecting those additional wires for the heating.

I (stupidly, in hindsight) tried for 2+ months to get glass installed by Safelite. Without checking, I had made up in my mind that windshield cost and install was going to be crazy expensive at the dealer which turned out to be incorrect. The problem I had with Safelite, which speaks directly to your experience, was that they could not (or would not) give me a straight answer on cross referencing their internal part numbers for glass against VW's part numbers.

And yes, gel pad price is so dumb 😁.