GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cosmetic issues

Tomass79

I slid into a snow bank last week and suffered some scratches. Any product anyone likes to use? I have tried the brush on paint and the pens in the past but I always thought it looked bad. I was thinking of taping up around the scratches real well and using a spray. Any thoughts? Also the headlight is scratched pretty deep. Any ideas on that? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_162448.jpg
    IMG_20201227_162448.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20201227_162427.jpg
    IMG_20201227_162427.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20201227_162430.jpg
    IMG_20201227_162430.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 146

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If they're not finger nail deep, they could/should buff out with some compound/polish.

Outside of that, you'd want it "professionally" repaired/resprayed to look right.
Your idea of taping it off and "using a spray" is the worst idea possible. You'd need to prep it properly and then blend it in, which is above a DIY level.
If it doesn't buff out, leaving it alone might be the best option (unless you want to get it all repainted). Other repairs might just stick out like a sore thumb/not look right, especially if you're sweating these little marks at the moment.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you really are set on DIY, maybe look into Dr.Colorchip? I plan on using that over the pens unless I can find some of the bottle touch up paint, though that's mainly due to metal flake not flowing through the pens well for my color - don't think that'd be an issue for you.

Their paint kit seems pretty affordable and the video makes it look easy to blend.

Tomass79

Thanks. I will look into the colorchip option. I really only care so much about the one on the door panel as it is very noticeable. Any ideas on the headlight?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Thanks. I will look into the colorchip option. I really only care so much about the one on the door panel as it is very noticeable. Any ideas on the headlight?
Could try one of the headlight refinish products meant to remove fogging/discoloration. They normally have an abrasive they have you wet sand the headlight with. Might help make them less noticeable.