GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Correct Oil Temp??

Laterz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Just noticed for the 1st time that I'm getting two different oil temp readings. I never looked at the digital because my analog is always there. I've always noticed my oil temp gauge goes up to 200 and stays. The digital readout was between 220 to 228, but my analog always registered 200??

Is this normal?

Laterz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Forgot pic...
20200627_132319.jpg

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Because that’s your coolant temp on the analog gauge. Also it’s not accurate at all. Always vertical at 200f unless you’re having an issue then it just redlines. There’s no in between.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I notice a discrepancy between my oil temp on the gauge cluster and Accessport. That's what I figured this thread was about and was curious as to what guys' thoughts were.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I notice a discrepancy between my oil temp on the gauge cluster and Accessport. That's what I figured this thread was about and was curious as to what guys' thoughts were.

How much of a discrepancy? My readings are very close. I do get slightly different readings for boost (relative intake manifold pressure) on the AP and my boost gauge.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
How much of a discrepancy? My readings are very close. I do get slightly different readings for boost (relative intake manifold pressure) on the AP and my boost gauge.

I haven't done a deep dive into it, but my first guess is that the gauge cluster is way laggy or averages out the temp over a certain amount of time so it tends to lag behind generally. So when the engine is warming up there is a very big delta, once warmed up the AP is usually a bit hotter. I usually use the gauge cluster to determine when I can start beating on the car, but the oil may be warming up much quicker than it would indicate.

I'll try to pay attention a little more next time out. I also wonder if this varies by car....Audi cluster might be different than VW etc.

joneze93tsi

Passed Driver's Ed

The Dash & AP pull the temp from 2 different sensors/places.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3

I watched again and maybe a mix difference of about 10*F during warmup and within 5 once warmed up. During warmup the gauge cluster was always lower than AP reading. A few times after some pulls the AP would read cooler than gauge cluster.

I looked thru that SSP manual or whatever and it only shows a single oil temp temp sensor located in the oil pan. So for now my best guess again is that the gauge cluster reading is simply delayed / averaged out over time vs AP which is probably reading direct from the sensor. This is on a 2017 Audi S3, might be a little different for the VWs, but who knows.