GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Correct Oil Temp??

mac340

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I watched again and maybe a mix difference of about 10*F during warmup and within 5 once warmed up. During warmup the gauge cluster was always lower than AP reading. A few times after some pulls the AP would read cooler than gauge cluster.

I looked thru that SSP manual or whatever and it only shows a single oil temp temp sensor located in the oil pan. So for now my best guess again is that the gauge cluster reading is simply delayed / averaged out over time vs AP which is probably reading direct from the sensor. This is on a 2017 Audi S3, might be a little different for the VWs, but who knows.
I just got an AP last week and I notice about the same, once its up to temp they vary but are usually within a few degrees.

anotero

Autocross Newbie
I watched again and maybe a mix difference of about 10*F during warmup and within 5 once warmed up. During warmup the gauge cluster was always lower than AP reading. A few times after some pulls the AP would read cooler than gauge cluster.

I looked thru that SSP manual or whatever and it only shows a single oil temp temp sensor located in the oil pan. So for now my best guess again is that the gauge cluster reading is simply delayed / averaged out over time vs AP which is probably reading direct from the sensor. This is on a 2017 Audi S3, might be a little different for the VWs, but who knows.
10degF is not a lot to me, especially during warmup. 5degF is less than 3degC, perfectly fine with me (I use degC for everything, hence the emphasis).

Navi

Autocross Newbie
The Dash & AP pull the temp from 2 different sensors/places.
are you sure about this? I forgot who told me, but I could have sworn I was told there is only one sensor for oil temp. And why would the car have two different ones and have the obd2 port pull from a different sensor than the car display? o_O

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
are you sure about this? I forgot who told me, but I could have sworn I was told there is only one sensor for oil temp. And why would the car have two different ones and have the obd2 port pull from a different sensor than the car display? o_O
I agree with that.