GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cooling system help

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
I am sure you have already tried this, but I will throw this out there. I have had cars over the years that are absolute bears to bleed. This has worked on cars with overflow bottles and surge tanks. I will over fill the bottle and close the system. Let it get as hot as you can then shut it off and let it cool. As the system cools it will purge the Air and replace it with the excess coolant.
It went to the dealership. They performed the bleed process and advised that air came out and the fans work. I picked up the car and it’s till doing it. Possibly it’s slightly improved. Today I drove a few miles and it went over 200 but then back to 190 for a bit. Then 215. If I accelerate a bit the temp comes down a little bit and then climbs back up again. In my mind it’s acting like an air pocket.
It’s going back in the morning

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It went to the dealership. They performed the bleed process and advised that air came out and the fans work. I picked up the car and it’s till doing it. Possibly it’s slightly improved. Today I drove a few miles and it went over 200 but then back to 190 for a bit. Then 215. If I accelerate a bit the temp comes down a little bit and then climbs back up again. In my mind it’s acting like an air pocket.
It’s going back in the morning
Maybe I missed something earlier in the thread but those temperatures sound normal. 190* actually sounds low. Mine always stays above 200* once up to temp.

gdub09

Ready to race!
Thermostat opens up at 90c or 194f. Its rare to see fans kick on when its not hot out. Took my car canyon carving when it was 70s, fans never kicked on. Went carving when it was 90s, fans on the entire time. It really depends on driving and ambient temp. Dealer can run an output test to verify. I'd try a cap discharge and see it they kick on after that. But like I said, its rare to see em kick on unless its pretty hot out.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
I had them run the bleed procedure again. They think its fine. I finally saw the fans come on low when my P3 says 225. When I roll into the throttle the temps drops but cruising it stays 215-220. Strange.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I had them run the bleed procedure again. They think its fine. I finally saw the fans come on low when my P3 says 225. When I roll into the throttle the temps drops but cruising it stays 215-220. Strange.
That's the temperature range they all run in.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI

gdub09

Ready to race!
Temps sound normal. Mine stay around that when driving hard.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Doing my own tuning with HP Tuners. I guess it's actually 225*, see below.

Mine was a really minor leak and would only go down from time to time vs consistently over time. It was kinda weird, but I already had the intake manifold off for MPI, so it was a no brainer to swap it. It appeared to be leaking on the 'front' where the 'water neck' looking thing is bolted down with the 4 torx screws.

View attachment 208347
Would you be able to log your coolant temps just normal driving around and cruising? I still find it hard to believe that temps should creep up while cruising 50mph on a 40° day. On the freeway I see it vary from 205-208 and once I get off it goes up to 220 and then 223-225 at idle. Yesterday I noticed that going 80-85 the temp went down to 200.
it doesn’t overheat so that’s fine.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Would you be able to log your coolant temps just normal driving around and cruising? I still find it hard to believe that temps should creep up while cruising 50mph on a 40° day. On the freeway I see it vary from 205-208 and once I get off it goes up to 220 and then 223-225 at idle. Yesterday I noticed that going 80-85 the temp went down to 200.
it doesn’t overheat so that’s fine.
That seems to track really close to the tables I posted?

What's happening at 50 mph?

I can take a log next time I'm out, but my commute is pretty much constant 55-65mph.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
That seems to track really close to the tables I posted?

What's happening at 50 mph?

I can take a log next time I'm out, but my commute is pretty much constant 55-65mph.
Yeah it does seem to be in line with targets. Those numbers aren’t max target are they? 55-65 is fine. Curious what it does. When I get off the freeway I don’t know why it shoots up to 220 after I exit the freeway but doesn’t cool down when cruising 50 on a back road

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Yeah it does seem to be in line with targets. Those numbers aren’t max target are they? 55-65 is fine. Curious what it does. When I get off the freeway I don’t know why it shoots up to 220 after I exit the freeway but doesn’t cool down when cruising 50 on a back road
My car is going to be down for about a week, but still to me that follows the tables pretty close. Keep in mind the speed axis is kph, so that puts ya right around 220-225 cruising at that speed.

It's "target cylinder head temp" I think technically....which seems to just be the coolant temp.

On my current tune, I reduced the 225 and 217 cells to 211.55

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
So I need to update this in case anyone else has this issue or is paranoid like me. The P3 has been showing me temps that I thought were higher than normal. I don't recall how often I ever used it for coolant temps before the rebuild. Usually I had it for boost or IAT. Today I was using the AccessPort and set up my 6 gauge display. I have one displaying coolant and its completely normal. higher 190s cruising and the most I saw at idle was 207. I don't know why these two devices would pull from different areas or how its figured but I guess I'm satisfied. Also having the P3 unplugged for a few days was a relief. Ignorance is bliss.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
That's interesting. P3 only uses the generic SAE Mode $01 PIDs.....pretty universal stuff. Perhaps they have the equation wrong in the firmware to convert the raw hex output to displayed value. Only thing I can think of.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
That's interesting. P3 only uses the generic SAE Mode $01 PIDs.....pretty universal stuff. Perhaps they have the equation wrong in the firmware to convert the raw hex output to displayed value. Only thing I can think of.
It’s a mystery to me. I swear my OBDeleven read the same