GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cooling Fan Running Excessively?

KGB1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

My GTD has developed yet another "quirk" :rolleyes: where the cooling fan seems, to me, to run far too much and I wondered whether anyone else had the same thing?

Numerous times now I find that when I stop the car the cooling fans are running. It did it again tonight after a 18 mile journey on a run home from work, we were never stuck in traffic, it was a clear 50 - 60mph run home in an indicated 5 degree outside air temp, the air con was switched off for the last 7 miles of the journey, the last half mile of the trip is in town but again we were never at a standstill for more than 30 seconds yet the fan kicked in as I reversed the car onto the drive.

I switched off the engine and timed the duration the fan ran for. It ran for over 7 minutes:confused::confused:

I checked all the fluid levels yesterday, coolant was fine.

Any ideas??

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Fairly normal.

Its does it when a regen of the DPF has been interrupted and yes the fan will run on for up to 8mins on engine switch off.

Mine did it tonight , similar journey but 12c outside temp.

KGB1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks vwman,

How often do they regen? Car did a 300 mile motorway run yesterday and fans were running the night previous too.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Thanks vwman,

How often do they regen? Car did a 300 mile motorway run yesterday and fans were running the night previous too.

As soon as the holder has about 50% soot collected I have read elsewhere.

bobwas4

Passed Driver's Ed
I THINK it is determined by the quality of fuel your using, I run my car on shell vpower nitro diesel which has lots of cleaning agents so it runs a little cleaner.

Hugo Nebula

Ready to race!
I've noticed my fan running a lot more in the Golf GTD than my previous Leon FR (w/ the 170bhp diesel engine). Similar to the OP I arrived back after a leisurely 40 mile motorway journey followed by 2 miles of suburban streets; no idling in traffic.

Sailorbaz

I remember the first time this happened to ours, we pulled into the drive and switched the car off and all I heard was this almighty blowing noise... I thought I'd left my car running in the garage and it was reving it's nuts off (E46 M3) but when I approached the garage door I heard it was the Golf. Obviously panicked and started checking fluids and levels etc but it was all ok.

Come on here and did a quick search and was quickly relieved. It's funny since herself uses the car to call with Mothers (Health Visitor) and numerous times the husbands have come out and said "Your cars doing something really weird in our driveway"

Her simple response "It does that sometimes, my Husband says it's ok" lol

KGB1

Passed Driver's Ed
A master tech at the local dealership I spoke to said that they have had a load of people in concerned by this since mk7 was released. Initially Vw were investigating it but have recently advised by technical bulletin that it is "normal". Seems that "normal" is the default answer to all the "quirks" these cars have.

I am told that the fans are running due to the coolant system in the car aiding the DPF cooling after use. Wonder what would happen should the circulating pump fail?

Since I first posted my concerns I have had a neighbour come to the door concerned about the "hot" smell coming from my car & the fans running!

James75

Go Kart Champion
I've had it twice - in succession both after journeys of about 6 miles, not that I think it makes a difference but the car was sport mode.

James