GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant System Failure Mk7 GTI PP 2014

mgregoryc

Hi all,
New to the forums and looking for advice on my 70,000 mile mk7 GTI (Performance Pack), hopefully without breaking any forum taboo! Any help would be really appreciated, thanks in advance.

Summary
Catastrophic coolant system failure occurred recently, required full replacement the entire system (c. £2200). I had it fixed at VW hoping it to be quick (it wasn't) and they are being shady over the cause. Does anyone have any ideas what it could have been?

Details
Initial problem was sudden, rapid overheating. Owned the car for 7 months. Car has been VW serviced annually since new, even increase in miles each year (I realise that doesn't tell you how hard it was driven). The coolant had never been changed.

Did not get much information from VW on how it happened, but all valves, pipes and pumps were apparently 'contaminated'. There was one mention of 'sand' being the thing that damaged the components, but they have mentioned nothing of that since. I still haven't been able to get the report from them as they said it is "a bit technical" and they have to re-write it in 'VW approved language'. This screams of covering up and bullshit — or am I being cynical?

I read somewhere that bags of silicate are used to extend the life of coolant liquids, which sounds suspiciously similar to 'sand'...

Anyway, would really appreciate any information. Don't want this happening again!

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Yep, sounds like your Tea Bag split. My local independent mechanic had one in a couple of years ago with the same issue. I removed my bag for that reason when the car was just out of warranty.

mgregoryc

Ha Tea Bag, love that (apart from the consequences). Right, cheers for the confirmation.

How long are these expected to last? Do you know of a reason they are being shady about it? Wondering if they think they're in some way culpable...

Deanjet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I removed my 2015's coolant bag last week. I really tortured the bag trying to get it out, it refused to tear. Had to get a knife to cut it open. Think mine was a life time bag!