GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant running low

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys haven’t been on the site for a while , managed to find it again. I’m sure one of you lovely guys can head me in the right direction. Antifreeze needs topping up almost every second day just realised the problem what can it be?
I have to keep a regular eye on the coolant level and temperature which can be annoying thanks guys

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Thermostat/water pump housing is a very common failure. Have a look under your induction manifold for tell tale white residue and on the oil pan/sump.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Water pump is a known weak point on the mk7 Golf and prone to failure, resulting in coolant loss. Are there any visible signs of dried on coolant in the engine compartment and are all hoses / hose clips tight and firmly in place?

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
My driver side heater is blowing out cold air. When engine is switched off I have noticed a gargling and swishing sound behind the center console almost like bubbling. Have taken a flash light and examined the engine area no visible signs of leakages ? Any more clues guys Thanks

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There's obviously a leak somewhere. You wouldn't have to add coolant if it wasn't leaking.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
My driver side heater is blowing out cold air. When engine is switched off I have noticed a gargling and swishing sound behind the center console almost like bubbling. Have taken a flash light and examined the engine area no visible signs of leakages ? Any more clues guys Thanks
The gargling / swishing noise sounds like you might have an air lock in the cooling system, which could account for poor heat output if an air lock is preventing the coolant from circulating effectively around the cooling system and into the heater matrix. Some new cars leave the factory with an air lock in the cooling system, and owners notice a sudden drop in coolant level when the air finally works its way out into the expansion tank, and coolant flows back into the system to replace the air lock. Thinking about your original post, if you do have a (large) air lock, that could explain the drop in coolant level you’ve been experiencing.

Have you had your cooling system pressure tested for leaks (they might not always be visible, depending on where they are if you do in fact have a leak), or have you noticed any coolant odours from the engine compartment when the coolant’s up to temperature and under pressure?

Another possible cause of poor (or no) heat output from the heater is a blocked heater matrix. There‘s been a number of recent discussions on various VAG forums (VW Golf and Seat Leon) where the sealed bag containing silicon beads and located in the cooling system expansion tank has been known to split. It‘s there to help prevent corrosion damage to the aluminium parts of the cooling system, and to prolong the life of the coolant If your car has one of these bags, I think the expansion tank will be marked ‘Mit Silikat’ on the outside, about halfway up. If the bag splits, the silicon in the bag can find its way into the heater matrix and block or partially block it, the result being poor heat (or no heat) output. Flushing out the heater matrix to clear the silicon doesn’t seem to be effective, and it’s usually necessary to replace the heater matrix.

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
%99 percent sure it’s the heater matrix, had this problem before maybe a pipe connecting it or maybe the heater matrix itself, guys how much would this job cost me supply and fitted ? Thanks not interested in the dealer prices

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
%99 percent sure it’s the heater matrix, had this problem before maybe a pipe connecting it or maybe the heater matrix itself, guys how much would this job cost me supply and fitted ? Thanks not interested in the dealer prices
Don’t know what a non-VAG dealer would charge, but I’ve seen prices quoted by forum members over on seatcupra.net of £800 or more for a Seat dealer to replace the heater matrix. Not the easiest of components to get to, so I’m assuming that labour costs account for a large part of the overall cost.