GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant Low?

Maka344

Ready to race!
Hello all.

My coolant is at the top of the min indicator. Just where the stars start.

I can't remember whether it was ever higher than this.

Can someone confirm where it should be because I can't see a max indicator.

My car is 4 months old with 4k and hasn't used any oil yet.

Thanks.

Maka344

Ready to race!
Where is the max indicator? I can only see the low.

Does it expand and despand as the engine is used/stood?

I've been driving around in 30c heat over the weekend.

Last edited:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Where is the max indicator? I can only see the low.

Does it expand and despand as the engine is used/stood?

I've been driving around in 30c heat over the weekend.

Page 304 in the book, I get what you mean now, there is a blue gradient with MIN on there, the bottom of the line is minimum, the top line is the max fill level, yes the bottle is an expansion chamber so don't be tempted to over fill it. I can't remember what the difference is between MIn -MAX but it's not much less than 0.5L.

Maka344

Ready to race!
Thanks, in that case, it's just one row of stars from max which is fine. I'm using to seeing Max.

I'm away and don't have my manual.

Golfbald

Passed Driver's Ed
I pointed out low coolant level to the dealer when our 2.0tdi was brand new. After checking with the 'head technician', I was told VW had decided the coolant level needed to be on the min mark, and all cars were 'now supplied this way' :confused:.
I'm certain they lied :mad:

Anayat

Ready to race!
When mine ran low I called the service department at my local dealer and they told me just to top if up with water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoTime1

Ready to race!
MY car was in for a service at VW yesterday and mine was just below the last line on the min mark. They checked for leaks and nothing could be found.

The morons then went and topped up the coolant all the way to the crease in the bottle. Way past the top line of the min mark. Who can one trust these days.

Tinners777

Took a visit to the Lake district today on some of the 33% gradient roads and had the "check engine coolant" and Tyre pressure and a red warning triangle appear on the dash (have to check the handbook) my car has covered 3500 miles
Coolant level looked OK visually, when it was warm, Ill check it tomorrow when its cool.
Tyre pressures were OK at 32 PSI when I checked them.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Hello all.

My coolant is at the top of the min indicator. Just where the stars start.

When it is cold expect it to be lower, water like everything else expands so it will rise and fall depending on engine temperature. As long as it is not below minimum I wouldn't worry but keep an eye on it.

Tinners777

The weird thing is that I checked my car today, after it standing overnight, and the water level was fine, the oil level is perfect and the tyre pressure is spot on but all the warnings cam on yesterday whilst driving round the lakes.

VW Golf 132

Passed Driver's Ed
This is my 5th golf and it's the first golf that actually uses coolant, like a two Stroke engine uses oil ha.
There is no leaks or anything. I think it's just the way mk7 is