GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant loss - problem after problem 😡 has this ever been solved

qed296

So sit tight while i give you the full story.

August time last year coolant was a little low, nothing out the ordinary.

3 weeks later it was low again....topped it up

Now its triggered the low coolant light on the dash a few days later, topped it up, then again a few days later again.

Started looking around the engine for coolant leaks, undertray was dry, floor was dry...looked inside the foot well to see if the matrix was leaking....nothing.

Looked online and noticed this was a common issue on some gtd's but some had resolved the mystery when the cambelt and water pump got replaced.

Had the above done but still having to top it up every 3/4 days.

Went back to the garage and it was suggested the heater matrix was at fault. Had it swapped out for a new one.
Still the same issue to this day.

No visible leaks around the engine, undertray or the interior carpets.

Has this issue ever been experienced and resolved, I ask as the bank 1 sensor lights come on, dpf and eml lights are on.

The costs are spiralling, I've spent about £1k to date and can ex3to spend another £1k sorting this but still have the coolant loss issue to contend with.

Any thoughts welcomed.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Check for staining on the thermostat housing. It's a very slow leak and burns off before hitting the ground. It will also pass a pressure test and only slowly leaks while being driven.

qed296

Can anyone guide me to a good resource so i can i.d these hoses ive just noticed weeping.

Attachments

• 20220209_184347.jpg
    20220209_184347.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 126

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
You might want to try adding some UV dye such as this to the coolant:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7652663

You’ll be able to detect leaks via black light. Might be a good option before throwing real money in postulation at the car.