GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant leaking at water pump

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Thought i had an oil leak but after looking deeper i verified it is indeed coolant and its the waterpump housing its leaking from.
2017 gti s
Thoughts? Im still under warranty and thinking of taking off the jb4 and trying the dealer route

I looked through the repair manual and it seems there is a belt driven pump and a shaft driven. Humble mechanic stated in a video engine vibration could be a culprit. Makes sense to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
I thought that this was a MK6 issue. Disappoint to hear VW still hasn't beefed up their water pump design.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Im at 29k with southbend 2 endurance clutch and jb4. I think its just a luck of the draw kinda thing

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Im at 29k with southbend 2 endurance clutch and jb4. I think its just a luck of the draw kinda thing

I smell coolant every time I start my car for a brief second....is this just venting ? Don’t seem to gave visible leakage or drop in tank?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I smell both coolant and oil vapour from time to time. 2017 GTI Sport with 18,700 miles on the clock.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Well the big give away was infact a puddle that had formed in the skid tray. I just had the entire front bumper off recently and i didn't notice it then.
The coolant level had slowly dropped to close to the minimal level but after raising the car and turning it on i was able to see it dripping straight coolant from the water pump.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Also i can see where the coolant had baked on to the engine leaving a white residue.
Ill probably have the car on my quickjack again today ill try to get some pics

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Minor inconvenience, but really no big deal, just bring it in to VW.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Remove JB4, take to dealer. Done. I find it funny that people will spend more time trying to investigate and solve a warranty item then it takes to remove the JB4. Always take it in for warranty if possible (not tuned or extensive mods) so that way the issue is documented in case there is any further issues.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Where should the coolant level be? Mine is about half way up the hash marks. I seem to remember it being at the top of the hash marks earlier but I could be mistaken.

Hans

Ready to race!
Where should the coolant level be? Mine is about half way up the hash marks. I seem to remember it being at the top of the hash marks earlier but I could be mistaken.
In between the hash marks; there is a gauge on the canister itself. I use a small flashlight shined from above to help see the level more easily; its also referenced in the OM.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Yeah took jb4 off. I had it dialed in pretty good and driving it stock was sad... Then the dealer gave me a jetta...

Will keep you all posted what they come back to me with. Mechanical stuff brakes im just glad i look over my car alot and caught it before something worse happened.

Definitely a small leak as my coolant level didn't drop at all on a 30 min drive but i could tell the coolant was getting cooked on the engine from the smell.

Just here to give back to the forum that I've taken so much from

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Nope I'm getting my second water pump done on a car with just under 50,000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr. Boles, what kind of water pump do you have on yours? Belt or shaft driven? The manuals i have show there are two variations. Im just curious why there are two variations and if its something they change from year too year or if its something where a 1.8t has one variation and the 2.0 has the other