GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant Leak?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Hello Everyone,

2019 Golf R - 16k Miles

I've been smelling coolant after each drive for about a month now. Noticed I was losing coolant, but topped it off and it's not moved much since. Went from the full line to the "min" line before I topped it off. I can also see dried coolant on the underbelly pan and collection points on the hoses under the tray.

Took the car to the dealership. They claim that it passed a pressure test and told me there was nothing wrong. Brought the car home and have been smelling coolant after each drive since then. The level hasn't moved much, but I can see that it's slowly making it way under the full line.

I know water pump / housing tend to leak on the 7/7.5 platform. I'm taking the car back to the dealership on Tuesday to complain again. Anyone else had this happen?

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Hello Everyone,

2019 Golf R - 16k Miles

I've been smelling coolant after each drive for about a month now. Noticed I was loosing coolant, but topped it off and it's not moved much since. Went from the full line to the "min" line before I topped it off. I can also see dried coolant on the underbelly pan and collection points on the hoses under the tray.

Took the car to the dealership. They claim that it passed a pressure test and told me there was nothing wrong. Brought the car home and have been smelling coolant after each drive since then. The level hasn't moved much, but I can see that it's slowly making it way under the full line.

I know water pump / housing tend to leak on the 7/7.5 platform. I'm taking the car back to the dealership on Tuesday to complain again. Anyone else had this happen?
Not me. But I’ve read about this. Same thing you mentioned to. It’s a super slow leak. Seems to be tsb worthy considering a lot of folks here have had the issue.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Thermostat housing is a well known weak point. Can pass a pressure test as it is a very slow leak, they need to take the undertray off and look up for visible signs.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Thermostat housing is a well known weak point. Can pass a pressure test as it is a very slow leak, they need to take the undertray off and look up for visible signs.

This is good to know. I was under the impression that this was possible myself, but have no way to prove what happens while the car is at the dealership in these types of situations. Only thing I have is my dashcam footage. I understand the techs have specific guidelines to follow in order to warranty parts, but if there are visual signs of a leak, you figure it would be a no brainer.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Yep, if mine starts loosing coolant I too will be taking pictures from under the car with the undershroud off to show the mechanic where the leak is.

I don't think my car is within warranty any more, so I'd like to replace it with an aftermarket version when available.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
Mine starting leaking pretty good about a month ago. I'm outside all warranties now so decided to buy the part and do it myself. Not the easiest repair but it's really not that bad.

I would continue to complain to the dealer until they replace the water pump/ thermostat housing since the leak is most likely coming from here.

Total BS that they haven't issued a recall even though the part has had 6 revisions.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yep, if mine starts loosing coolant I too will be taking pictures from under the car with the undershroud off to show the mechanic where the leak is.

I don't think my car is within warranty any more, so I'd like to replace it with an aftermarket version when available.

I've only seen an aftermarket replacement for the MK6 cars.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I had my water pump and housing replaced because it was leaking, but that never caused a coolant smell inside the cabin for me. My heater core later got clogged / was leaking, and that caused a very noticeable coolant smell in the cabin (and a bit of a film on the inside of the windshield if I'd been using the AC or defroster). It was worse with the AC/heating on, but it was there all the time. Got the core replaced (simple job in these cars, thank god, dash doesn't come out) and now all good.

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Not me. But I’ve read about this. Same thing you mentioned to. It’s a super slow leak. Seems to be tsb worthy considering a lot of folks here have had the issue.
Had my thermostat housing replaced, was a slow leak and was visible @ 23,000 kms warranty covered back in February. 10k kms later had to top. Had pressure tested again passed. Tech and I couldn't see any visible signs of a leak this time.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Had my thermostat housing replaced, was a slow leak and was visible @ 23,000 kms warranty covered back in February. 10k kms later had to top. Had pressure tested again passed. Tech and I couldn't see any visible signs of a leak this time.
My wife’s GLI is now exhibiting these issues. She’s got about 3k miles.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I had the car back to the dealership today. We got it up in the air, took the belly pan off, and looked around really well for a leak.

Both my service advisor (retired BMW tech) and the VW technician both didn't think there was a leak. We can smell coolant, I'm loosing some out of the reservoir, but we can't visibly see anything. There is a dried up white substance on the bottom of the belly pan in the creases that looks like coolant to me. The tech didn't seem to think so.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I had the car back to the dealership today. We got it up in the air, took the belly pan off, and looked around really well for a leak.

Both my service advisor (retired BMW tech) and the VW technician both didn't think there was a leak. We can smell coolant, I'm loosing some out of the reservoir, but we can't visibly see anything. There is a dried up white substance on the bottom of the belly pan in the creases that looks like coolant to me. The tech didn't seem to think so.
That’s crazy. That coolant is clearly disappearing somewhere.