GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant leak (probably not the thermostat housing)

dlutz79

Car(s)
2015 GTI PP
I have a coolant leak showing itself on the front passenger side of the engine. The thermostat housing seems to be the most common coolant leak for this car, but it doesn’t appear to be coming from that area. Based on the photos, does anyone have an idea of where it might be coming from? I’d take it to the dealer, but my warranty expired 6 weeks ago...

Attachments

• DE972D57-C00E-43C1-9A9F-0CAD75A1F7C4.jpeg
    DE972D57-C00E-43C1-9A9F-0CAD75A1F7C4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 303
  • 427C0770-5D9C-41F9-8345-516C519F7B4A.jpeg
    427C0770-5D9C-41F9-8345-516C519F7B4A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 322

avabj

Car(s)
mini cooper
i can't see the where the leak coming from, if its in the hose its just easy fix you just need a hose replacement and it will not cost you a lot but if the radiator is damaged you need to take it to mechanic it may cost you around 300$ that's why you don't delay fixing it if you have a leak

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
That leak has been going on a long time. Did you just notice it? Maybe your dealer will give you a break on it since its so close to warranty.

dlutz79

Car(s)
2015 GTI PP
That leak has been going on a long time. Did you just notice it? Maybe your dealer will give you a break on it since its so close to warranty.
I doubt they will. I had a water pump fail on my MKIV GTI just out of warranty and they wouldn't budge.

I just noticed the leak. I typically drive the car everyday until recently (my wife works from home now so I started driving her car every other week). Maybe that's why I didn't see the it sooner. The puddle in the garage is maybe a few teaspoons after sitting a while.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Maybe warm up the car to operating temp and then see if you can see where its coming out. We have a few mechanics around here that specialize in VW's and that's all they work on. Do you have any place like that around you? I wouldn't let it go as it is only going to get worse and maybe cost even more to fix.

dlutz79

Car(s)
2015 GTI PP
Yes, there's a great VW/Audi place in Cincinnati. I've talked to them and I'll be dropping it off Monday if I don't find anything on my own by then.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
How much / often are you having to top up coolant?

dlutz79

Car(s)
2015 GTI PP
How much / often are you having to top up coolant?
Not very often. Coolant light came on about a month ago (for the first time), I filled up then. Level is currently in the normal range. I've added coolant maybe 3-4 times in the 3.5 years I've owned the car. It never got low enough to cause a warning until now.

dlutz79

Car(s)
2015 GTI PP
Turns out it was the thermostat housing. The tech said it was following a path across the front of the block and coming down on the corner that I photographed.